Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM

Default In my prime

Yesterday morning on the sportsradio station I listen to, one of the hosts was being congratulated on his 40th birthday. Conversation ensued about how he didn't feel old, "40 is the new 30," that guys in their twenties really have no idea what's going on and for the most part aren't all that settled or happy. It got me to thinking...

I've often heard the same thing from older friends, though we clearly define our happiness in different ways; indeed, I suppose that's a fundamental part of the transition. The argument seems to center around the idea that at some point in life, a man is young enough to still feel good physically, look good and be attractive to women, but old enough to be secure in himself, professionally and/or financially settled, and generally more self-confident.

When I was 20, I "dated" a woman that was 38; she continually said things like "I wish I could see you when you were 30," and is really the first one to have planted the idea in my head that one's prime could really be anything other than 18-21. So what do you think, OOT? What's your prime? Are you past it? Is it coming up? How do you know you're there? What did you have to do to get there? Answers might differ for single v. married, might be dependent on career choice or some other mitigating factor, so feel free to elaborate on your circumstances.