Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: SNG/HOH2 (M) question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But going all-in seems crazy? Risking my almost 2k for 300.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all crazy. You have just about no room to work postflop with < 10x BB. Also, you're treating this like TT is a straight-up steal hand. It's not. It's a big freakin' hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just happend to have TT there, I would have gone all-in with A5o or something as well =)
Old 08-03-2005, 06:20 PM

In HOH2, he does talk about average stack size. He calls it "Q". However, he does say that when they are conflicting, M is more important. Here again this is a MTT strategy more than a STT strategy.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What else would you do w/ TT in this position?...Call?...Min-raise??...Fold?...None of those choices are as (+)EV as going allin...Allin may pickup the blinds w/o opposition which is not a bad result for TT....Allin will push out the blinds with the random "nothing" hands (what you want to happen)....Allin may get called by an inferior hand (what you want to happen)...Allin may get called by a superior hand (Yuk)...but just might "suckout"(what you want to happen)...by the time you get thru the blinds your stack will be even further crippled....GoForIt [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just post something resembling strategy? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Wow, I'm pretty shocked [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! Now all you have to do is provide thoughts on a hand that is somewhat difficult to play, [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

As for the OP's questions about M. Really all it indicates is how your stack compares to the dead/forced $$ at the beginning of the hand. In Party Poker STTs there are never antes so it makes more sense to compare one's stack to the big blind rather than add up both blinds and then compare your stack. All M does is add up the antes and the blinds and then compare that number to your stack anyway.

Also someone also mentioned other players having shorter stacks than you. Harrington doesn't have like an algorithm for exactly how to play in every situation with whatever amount of M. He has guidelines and in his hand examples when he thinks through a hand, it is clear that one is supposed to be aware of everyone else's M and how that affects their play and thus, your play.

Even on Stars the antes never get all that big (and tables are short by then anyway) so coming up with M is still sorta silly and just knowing how many big blinds your stack is still is most helpful.

Yugoslav
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all crazy. You have just about no room to work postflop with < 10x BB. Also, you're treating this like TT is a straight-up steal hand. It's not. It's a big freakin' hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just happend to have TT there, I would have gone all-in with A5o or something as well =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure pushing A5o sucks.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure pushing A5o sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I need ATo here.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm tryng to implement "M" in my SNG's. I'm playing a few on Full Tilt (9 handed). When I get into the red zone and have to make a move, it often looks like this:

Blinds 100/200, 5 players left. Chips:

SB 3992
BB 2490
ME 1961
CO 3135
DB 1922

SB and BB posts 100/200, no antes. I'm UTG, with a hand (TT in this case). According to the Zone system in HOH2 (still reading), I'm in the red zone (all-in or fold) since my "M" is less than 6. But going all-in seems crazy? Risking my almost 2k for 300.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

1961/300 = 6.5, which puts you in the Orange zone. Still, this is an easy push.

PS You should be rooting for a call here, BTW.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm tryng to implement "M" in my SNG's. I'm playing a few on Full Tilt (9 handed). When I get into the red zone and have to make a move, it often looks like this:

Blinds 100/200, 5 players left. Chips:

SB 3992
BB 2490
ME 1961
CO 3135
DB 1922

SB and BB posts 100/200, no antes. I'm UTG, with a hand (TT in this case). According to the Zone system in HOH2 (still reading), I'm in the red zone (all-in or fold) since my "M" is less than 6. But going all-in seems crazy? Risking my almost 2k for 300.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

1961/300 = 6.5, which puts you in the Orange zone. Still, this is an easy push.

PS You should be rooting for a call here, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to also take into account # of players (5) so M is not 6.5