Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: whole bunch of coins

[ QUOTE ]
Go to your bank and have them count it. They will tell you one of two things:

1. That they don't even count the coins anymore. Too bad. This is total BS since they have the machine in there since they have to move change, to and from merchants usually.

2. They will have you roll it. This is also BS, since they count the coins out anyway.

I suggest that you respond to either of these questions with a not-so-idle threat that you want to cash out your account. Their laziness over a few minutes of work is terrible. In fact, I feel like some conflict soon, and I will go down to Wells Fargo myself. Maybe I'll do it on Saturday morning, so all of the old ladies in there can listen to me reaming out the manager. Plus, I will drink their free coffee and eat all of their sugar cookies, even though I hate sugar cookies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get a sucker too.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:40 PM

I go to wells, too. which branch are you planning your assault for? I may have to observe the power of the 'fro.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 PM

My favorite:

I have one of those little coin counters on my dresser, Every month I take the rolled coins to the bank and either exchange or deposit them. The last time the teller told me that I couldn’t exchange or deposit them them because there were “too many” (I had about $100 worth) She then told me that I’d have to take them to this “clearing house” and they would count them, total them and then transfer the amount into my account for 5% - this would take one to two weeks.

I went ballistic and demanded to see the branch manager. She said there was no such policy, fired that teller on the spot and exchanged my coins.

It’s illegal for any bank to refuse cash deposits of any amount. The pennies are not real money argument only applies to debts between private individuals or companies in unrolled amounts over 25, event then it’s at the creditors options whether to take them.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many banks will not do this anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. They make you roll them.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Man, can't you control your change build-up a little better? I thought I was bad taking about $40 to Coinstar. But now I just use the change as a tip (or part of the bill) for the pizza guy, take some with me to work to buy breakfast, etc.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just go to your bank? They should have a machine which will count the coins quickly for you (or at least be able to transfer it to another branch which does).

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen a bank do this in all my life. I've seen some of them charge you a fee to exchange coins you've rolled yourself! Often it's hard even to get coin rolls from them, even if you're a customer. At least that's my experience.

It's been decades since I've seen banks being consumer friendly.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 PM

I went to a Wells Fargo branch a couple weeks ago and they counted about $400 in change for me. Of course this branch was in Nebraska...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 PM

I've always banked at a Credit Union and have never had a problem getting my coins redeemed.