Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 PM

Default HU optimal raise/reraise frequencies

I was wondering what some of the answers/reasoning to some of the questions would be for how often one should raise preflop in a HU match, say 1-2 blind structure, with the SB on the button?

SS2 jenny harmon says one should raise roughly 75% of the hands from the SB heads up.

So how much would the BB reraise to counter this super aggresive strategy, or even if the SB was raising 90% or higher of these hands? I'm guessing one would have to reraise quite freqently from the BB to avoid getting run over in this type of HU match. Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: HU optimal raise/reraise frequencies

Here is one obvious conclusion that can come from rasing frequencies. If BB is calling SB raises preflop only 50% of the time, then SB should be rasing 100% preflop, and is basically freerolling postflop if SB is never 3bet preflop.

IF BB is playing his/her better 50% hands HU out of position, it becomes very clear that he/she better

1. Play more hands preflop

or

2. 3betting preflop very often and still probably be playing more then 50% of the hands out of the SB

Same logic, should apply to a BU SB BB play where the SB is tight and the button is a very hyper aggrsive raiser.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:53 PM

Okay, here is a link I bust out over and over again when ppl ask about HU. Read these articles by Jason Pohl, they really are some of the best stuff out there on Shorthanded/HU. He has like ten articles just dedicated to preflop stuff, then multiple articles on many aspects of postflop play.

Also way back in the day he used to be one of the best posters on here, when HUSH was starting up.
Jason Pohl articles
Old 11-16-2005, 08:00 PM

Thank you much, but i was also hoping to generate some discussion here, for scenario situations as well. I have read some of his shorthanded articles, but none of his HU artciles, this should do well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 08:34 PM

SAY SB vs BB , SB has the BU. You are the BB

say you are playing 10-20 , 5-10 blinds
say you are playing 15-30 , 10-15 blinds

How will your decisions to call raises be effected by the blind structures?

basically if your opponent never adapted to the blind structure and still raised with the same frequency , then you should call and reraise with the same hand types, assuming your opponent didn't adapt.

Let's say your opponent does in fact raise more in the 15-30 game though. He does this because he is risking less to win more by raising preflop, therefore he should raise more.

How does Your opponent raising more preflop dictate your play from the BB?

I believe on intuition and from basic logic, that your calling range would go up slightly, but you should now be 3- betting more as well, 3-betting quite a bit if your opponet is now raising 100%.

thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:46 PM

come on nobody play heads up? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
come on nobody play heads up? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have asked some questions that require some good analysis, which only a select few posters will be able to do. You have also only given about an hour so far of time for people to respond. I would just wait, and try again at a different time, when different posters are around, if you don't get any responses.