Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: OT: A football puzzle

[ QUOTE ]
well an induction proof will eliminate all but the lowest of scores (if u can score n, then n+3, n+6,n+7,n+8 are all possible with fg/td added on) from needing any safeties to achieve

u can't score 1

3/6/7/8/9/10 are all possible without a safety, thus anything 11+ is possible without a safety

so we have 2/4/5 left...only 4 requires 2 safeties

so 4-4

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, and nice work on the proof.

I think I actually enjoy the psychological aspect of this question the most. That is, what is "strange" to everyone, especially in the context of solving a puzzle. Without a doubt, the most common answers (and not necessarily in any order) when I ask this are always:

A. 4-4
B. 1-1
C. 22,278,345,532 - 3,345,587,876 (two impossibly huge numbers)

(C) is interesting in that there really is no difference between one impossibly huge number and another, so it isn't real logical that that is what the question-asker is getting at. That paradox should rule out all "two really large numbers" guesses.

(B) is interesting in that it is impossible. You may as well have guessed "Pi-to-Elephant" as your score, since that is also impossible to achieve in an NFL game. So, it isn't real logical that that is what the question-asker is getting at either. That paradox should rule out all "impossible scores to acheive" guesses.

But hey, who am I to say what is "strange" to all of you.

Also interesting when you ask this question of your friends is that most people either get it right instantly, or they never get it, even after much thought. I guess you just kinda think this way or you don't.

--Z