Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Hand odds after the flop (turn card only)?

In no-limit poker when comparing pot odds to your hand odds and determining if the right pot odds are being offered to stay in a hand, why aren't the hand odds of just hitting your hand on the turn card (post flop) discussed/included in poker charts and books. All the charts I've seen give you post flop hand odds with 2 cards to come (turn & river) and 1 card to come (river).

I'm puzzled as to why hand odds are not given for just the turn card as seeing the river isn't a given (unless you our your opponent are all-in)?

For example, you flop 4 to the flush...all the hand odds charts and conversations will say that you have 35% (apprx) chance of hitting your hand with 2 cards to come, but there doesn't seem to be much (or any) talk about the 19.1% (apprx) chance of hitting your card on the turn. Since we will not always have the luxury of seeing both the turn and river cards, shouldn't odds also be discussed with consideration of just the turn card and making your hand?

Or have I just missed these discussions/charts?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Hand odds after the flop (turn card only)?

You can use the river odds (1 card to come) to get close to the turn odds (1 card to come). The river odds are slightly better as you've seen one more blank removed from the possible cards to come (eg outs are say 9/46 instead of 9/47). Most likely not listed because it's not elegant to have multiple odds listed on the same chart / discussion.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Hand odds after the flop (turn card only)?

[ QUOTE ]
You can use the river odds (1 card to come) to get close to the turn odds (1 card to come). The river odds are slightly better as you've seen one more blank removed from the possible cards to come (eg outs are say 9/46 instead of 9/47). Most likely not listed because it's not elegant to have multiple odds listed on the same chart / discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really puzzles me that I never hear any discussion about the hand odds on the turn (and their relationship to the pot odds) when that's the only card you are certain to see with a call.