Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Default PL08 $200 hand

Hand

Funny I was thinking to myself smuggly why the hell didn't this guy realize as he was re-raising his entire stack on the river that I had quads.....when I looked at the Hand history and realized that he could have had the Royal. DOH!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: PL08 $200 hand

You're lucky that dude's a donk but you played this hand horribly. Maybe you haven't realised yet but in PL you can only bet the size of the pot. Which means that if you want to play a big pot...you have to bet.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which means that if you want to play a big pot...you have to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Also he bet on the turn would you raise him, I mean really he is begging you on the turn, he is saying come on raise me, but you are like NO MAN I DONT WANT A BIG POT I GOT QUADS!

Thats just what the hand said to me. Also lack of content.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also lack of content.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 AM

Played like total crap. LC to boot. BOOO
Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 AM

I totally disagree with you on the play of this hand.

Moreover, those of you that are saying "lack of content" the content is in the way that the hand was played-- which now that you have commented, I will explain my thoughts.

My thoughts are that unless he develops a hand, this guy folds to any bet (unless he has AA, and if he has AA, I get his money anyway when the fireworks develop). That can come either by his hitting the flush, getting a matching card for a pocket pair or by letting a low develop and quartering him. I don't see any other scenario for him putting money into the pot. If I come over him on the turn where the flush card hits, he probably folds. If I smooth call him he probably leads out again, or in any event I still have position to bet on the end.

How do you think this hand goes if I bet out and he has a flush draw, a pocket pair, or a low draw with 23 (or better yet, A23). The player folds. By checking and calling I am giving him a lot of dead outs to make a hand that can make me MORE than $6 that I would make if I bet it and he folds.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:56 AM

I can't think of anything with less "content" than posting a quote of "lack of content".

At least posting a picture of a baby or a stormtrooper pimp is better than that, in that it provides amusement.

I posted a hand. It was played in a manner that I found interesting by both players. Two people have commented now on how badly I played this hand-- where I had the nuts the whole way and stacked my opponent. Content is a two-way street WM. I don't need to post my thoughts on the hand for it to have content, it speaks for itself, and people are free to add additional content if they deem it worth their time.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:20 AM

He had the nuts (well, close to it), and he got all the money. I agree with him, there's no way he's getting all his money unless he's got specifically A-A, in which case it doesn't matter if all the money is in the pot on the turn or the river.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 PM

Mendacious, this post has near-zero content. No matter how you play this hand, all the money is getting in the pot. Against a weaker hand, you are probably getting nothing.

PWIW, sometimes playing quads faster in this spot will prove more profitable. If you check and check, then when your opponent catches, say, a straight, he's not going to pay off for his whole stack. But if you bet out and he calls out of suspicion, then catches his straight and you toss a check in there on the river, you might get his whole stack. Checking the ironclad nuts isn't always the best plan--especially when they aren't truly ironclad (royal, quad aces).
Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 PM

I don't think I said checking quads is the only way to play them universally. In this situation, however, (against the range of possible holdings by the opponent) I think it is the right play to maximize the chances of making more than $6.

In this instance it gives me a chance to quarter a low,
Lets any pocket pair hit (4 or which are overpairs which I probably stack if they hit)
Lets a flush or straight hit.

Because of the Ace on the board, I am dubious that any of these potential hi hands calls if I bet, and the low obviously requires runner/runner.

Do you disagree?