Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Default The mini-raise

I'm pretty sure there's got to be a thread talking about this, but I'll go ahead and get it going and ask.

With mini-raises why do I keep reading alot about watching out for it and be careful? I understand it either A. Means weak hand or B. A monster and or Strong hand. This is what I see alot by posters. Now my question is why is there so much emphasis placed on a mini-raise? Personally I think(as of right now) that it is highly player dependant on what it actually may mean and even so, that it may not mean anything at all except this is how the player bets and doesn't know the proper bet's into a pot and the re-raises that come along with it.

Ed S.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: The mini-raise

Well if you're talking about a typical say Party Poker MTT then a mini-raise is normally a sign of incompitence.

Particularly early when the blinds are low.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:26 AM

min raises in an STT drive me F'in bonkers. The pot will be 360 and homeboy will bet out 40. ARG. I never know what to think of this, esp when I haven't hit [censored].
Old 11-13-2005, 11:47 AM

This issue has been beaten to death, but I love to hate it.

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you're talking about a typical say Party Poker MTT then a mini-raise is normally a sign of incompitence.

[/ QUOTE ]

"word"

Min raising, especially PF, is for limit poker and special ed poker leagues. I dont think that you really need to worry about a min raiser's hand being either "really weak or really strong." Let them make it 2 in a 1-1 game and when you call from the BB and flop two pair, it doesn't matter where they were...just where they are because they misplayed their hand and let you in cheap.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:53 PM

I agree that the meaning of a mini-raise depends on the player making it and that it indicates incompetence, but not necessarily on the part of the player making it. Bad players will tell you a lot by their reaction to a miniraise. Many no-limit players won't put even a small amount into a pot they don't think they have a chance of winning big with, so they'll fold marginal hands to a very small raise. Others will call a miniraise with a strong hand that would otherwise be worth a bigger raise. Also, it gives other players more things to think about your play, which gives you more opportunities to cross them up. People remember a miniraise much longer than a check or normal raise.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:17 PM

The thing that most bothers me about min-raises is people calling them mini-raises.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM

Far too much thought going into it. If you minraise PF...you're a donkey. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] There you have it.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Far too much thought going into it. If you minraise PF...you're a donkey. There you have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to disagree with that. Against weak/inexperienced players, you can sometimes get a fold. Against the more experienced, their moves then tell you a fair bit. Against the very good players, you appear a donkey - and thus have something of an advantage.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Particularly early when the blinds are low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking when the mini-raise is applied in NL Ring games live or on PP or where ever on the internet.

Ed S.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far too much thought going into it. If you minraise PF...you're a donkey. There you have it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have to disagree with that. Against weak/inexperienced players, you can sometimes get a fold. Against the more experienced, their moves then tell you a fair bit. Against the very good players, you appear a donkey - and thus have something of an advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that I'm mainly talking about PF here. Whether or not the experienced player in the BB thinks you're a donkey, he's still not going to fold... that's what matters.
And as far as minraising a weak player because you MIGHT get a fold, you also MIGHT get an all in from the same player...or worse, a min RE raise, then what do you do? Call. Its Never a good idea.

"course that's just my opinion, I coud be wrong."
-Dennis Miller