Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Default loose Party 6 Max Tables (Long)

I have just recently started playing the 1/2 6 max at party. I played about 3000 hands
this weekend and found the tables to be incredibly loose. I would say on average
the table vips were in the range of 45% with many tables having players with vpip's
in 60/70/80% range. I can see that this is obviously very good for me, what with the
fundemental theory of poker and all.

I printed out Mebenho's (sp?) starting hands chart and started playing just one table
trying to get a feel for the new hand values. After getting the chart pretty much memorized
I moved up to two tables, only occaisionaly having to look at the chart. I understand
that no hand chart is going to teach you how to play, but I have a 100k hands at
2/bb 100 at .50/1.00 and 1/2 full. I figured that I would be fine postflop with some adjustments.

My stat's at full are 20/9/3.5 and at 6 max after 3 k hands were 27/16/3. If I were to run
into tables like I experienced at 6 max at a full ring game I would be in heaven, however
I feel lost at 6 max.

An example of the problems I was experiencing, I raise pocket 8's UTG, and 5 people see the flop. I would assume the reason for raising medium pocket pairs would be to limit the field, not to build a pot. Normally at a full table with these conditions I would play tighter, not bluff and just value bet. This seems to contradict everything I have read about 6 max i.e playing more hands and showing down lesser hands. from my experience these games were no foldem.

I honestly think that you have to showdown the best hand in these loose games, and that playing my standard 20/9 full game would be more profitable.

Any comments suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: loose Party 6 Max Tables (Long)

More like 20/13 would work if you wanted to be that tight.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Play your standard game pretty much and don't worry about it being shorthanded. The nice thing about 6-max is it will change your standard game.

The subtle difference that you'll find if everyone has a high VPIP is that with 5 to the flop full ring, they'll all have suited connectors and stuff, so you need to be worried about when the flush comes etc etc. In 6-max, if everyone is loose, they'll have all kinds of crap.

But don't worry about it. Play normal. 88 with 5 to the flop, you have good odds and can hope for an 8 on the flop. With one overcard you may consider betting on the flop to thin the field because your hand still may be best. If it looks like someone has a better hand, fold. You know, standard stuff.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM

I once heard (don't know how true it is) that "middle pair in a SH table is like top pair on a full ring table".

I would like 88 on a flop of Q74r.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once heard (don't know how true it is) that "middle pair in a SH table is like top pair on a full ring table".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats how HEFAP explained how to play SH. If you have middle pair, forget the top card exists.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying but I don't quite think of it that way. I think about what kind of hands my opponent plays with, and what % of those hands beat me. 4 or 5 opponents, and I'm thinking there's real good chance (maybe 60-70%?) someone has a queen. But I can't just be giving up pots like that, so I grit my teeth and bet. If I'm raised, I'm in bad shape, because if I'm behind I'm way behind. Which is why 88 is worse than middle pair, A7 would be preferable.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:34 PM

your fallacy is that you are not realizing that 6max is the same as full table.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM

6-max is not that different from full table, except that you will have more opportunities to play more hands than you would at the full game. I suggest you start out playing your full-game style and gradually incorporate more of the hands that you've read to be profitable into your course of play. And by the way, you should be seeing more showdowns.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats how HEFAP explained how to play SH. If you have middle pair, forget the top card exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

To avoid confusion, you might want to take another look at that passage. It refers to heads-up situations.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 PM

Don't try bluffing out calling stations. If they're real loose, just play your full ring game.