Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 PM

Default I like Doyle, I want to play like him on PP

but I can't. It won't work at the 200NL or 400NL. when can you start making similar plays to those executed in SS.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM

Default When you improve...

Doyle or any good player will make the best play for the situation...

You need to be able to evaluate what the best style for the moment is... not pick a "style" and try to find situations to use it.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: When you improve...

[ QUOTE ]
Doyle or any good player will make the best play for the situation...

You need to be able to evaluate what the best style for the moment is... not pick a "style" and try to find situations to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not disagree with that statement made. However, his more aggressive moves won't work at the lower limits people will consider you a fish and you'll probably get called too often for his aggressive plays to be profitable. That is what I'm alluding to.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: I like Doyle, I want to play like him on PP

Doyle is working with much higher limits and much better players, his play is designed to combat that. Factors such as long term image value have no relevence at NL200. Be glad you don't have to play like he does to turn a profit.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:27 AM

It works at the 6 handed table. The best part is, you get called a fish afterward.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 PM

ppl thinking you are a fish is not a bad thing. They wont respect you at all and then thats the time to screw down and then play your big hands as fast as possible. They'll pay you off.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Just as AnyTwoCanLose claimed earlier, top player's would not play that loose aggressive style against a bunch of loose passive players. You MUST figure out the game you are in and how it is being played NOW. To be able to adjust your game to the specific players is key to a winning player. A good poker player adjusting to the game he is in is similiar to top hitters in the MLB adjusting during an at bat to a pitcher. I believe you would get alot out of "Psychology of Poker" which is in my opinion one of the better poker books out now. What we have to realize is that poker is not an exact science and cannot be played out as if a carefully planned experiment.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM

That's why I love it. It's how I make my money.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM

Not sure which SS you have but if you have the original open to page 435, if you have SS2 open to page 545. These are the sections on weak players, you need to remember weak players cannot be "outplayed", and that's probably the best advice out of the entire SS series. Someone mentioned before play the 6 person tables, these require more aggression and therefore cater to players with DB's style better than the full tables. The other thing I really like is playing your rushes (SS pg. 450-451, can't find it quick in SS2 but page 531 works too). I get blasted everytime I recomend this here, but it's a tactic that has really improved my game in a number of ways, and has won a lot of money for me. It is true this is not as effective in online games as live games, but give it a shot at the very least you will learn a great deal through mistakes. You will find that if you establish your image as an agressive player, more and more of DB's plays will work for you.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:56 PM

picking another person's style is always the wrong way to go. those books are mostly reference only. they are to teach the ways to look at a poker game. by taking on someone else's style will affect ur play. the best thing to do is play these games and learn ur style. u may find that ur style mixed with the knowledge of others is better than picking one style and sticking to it. Poker is about evolving ur game and urself. by isolating ur play to one kind of style will hurt u in the end.