Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 10:14 PM

Default no talent

this forum usually seems to be the one people turn to when they are feeling down. that is not the case for this one even if it may come off that way it is just me trying to be honest about myself. i have recently come to believe that there is no way that i will ever be better than a low limit player. i have been playing cards seriously for a little over a year now and i feel that i just am not capable of the kind of thinking that it takes to be successful at the higher limits. i have never been very smart and always been horrible at strategy games. i have always known that i dont have any natural ability but i convinced myself that if i just worked hard enough that i would be able to overcompensate for my limited natural abilities finally in the last week or two my opinion about that has changed. does anyone believe that you can overcome this? i mean half of the time i order the wrong thing at the Olive Garden because i dont make good decisions in the heat of the ordering moment. well maybe it isnt that bad. another thing is this i really do enjoy making extra money at gambling but i just cant stand playing cards anymore if i am never going to be as good as i want to be. i was thinking about learning about sports betting or somthing else like that. i am hoping for suggestions of other kinds of gambling for people with no ability. thanks for the advice
Old 12-23-2004, 11:15 PM

Default Re: no talent

All of us have the type of desire to be better in some areas of our life. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. I personally have felt that I've peaked and won't get any better on my raw ability in many areas requiring specialized skill (tennis, piano, chess, etc). Poker just happens to be in this category for you. If you are certain that putting another couple months will not do anything- and you can't stand only playing lower limits, then quit. Poker is not for everyone.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:32 AM

There is no talent in poker, only skill.

There is no natural ability, playing winning poker is unnatural.

The point is, the only way you become better at poker is by learning and playing. We all start at the same skill level from birth, what you do from then on is up to you. If you have the desire to become great, and take the appropriate steps, it will happen.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:00 AM

"Talent is no substitute for hard work."

-timmer
Old 12-24-2004, 02:23 AM

i appreciate the reponses after reading my own post (and having a beer) i got to thinking ive never been a natural at anything i have always been an effort guy i plan on redoubleing my efforts and never quiting. just thinking about quitting made me realize that i dont like the way it sounds and that there is no way i can be that way. thanks for the reminders sometimes this game can get me down a little. actually i feel a little rejuvinated (if thats how you spell it) in my long jouney towards becomeing an expert. thanks again
Old 12-24-2004, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poster: BusterStacks
Subject: Re: no talent

There is no talent in poker, only skill.

There is no natural ability, playing winning poker is unnatural.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I'm going to be a puss for now now because I need to get to sleep but I'll elaborate later. Skill, experience, and knowledge is a big factor, probably the biggest, but some people are still just more talented than others.

However , this doesn't mean you can't get both fun and profit out of the game without that talent.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean half of the time i order the wrong thing at the Olive Garden because i dont make good decisions in the heat of the ordering moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you thought about giving up on the Olive Garden?

seriously though, and i'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, the fact that you know you are not a tremendous player puts you well ahead of your opposition. i recommend two things. one, try to break down your game into various areas, figure out what you are good at, what you are not good at, and most importantly, what you think you can realistically improve. i am not a good reader of people. it is not in my nature. i will never be a great player as a result. i do work on it, but i keep my expectations low.

two, have you played in different games? different card rooms, online and B&M, and different limits have very different feels. i win at 4/8 but have never had a single winning session at 2/4. i know people who are exactly the opposite. rather than wasting time fighting your own nature, find the game where your inclinations give you the most success. as long as you stay motivated to improving your game, you are better off starting from a level of comfort if only for psychological reasons.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:56 AM

It is possible that some people are more suited for poker than others but that shouldn't get you down. I have read some bios of famous players and very few of them were net winners in their first couple of years playing. Howard Lederer and Devilfish Ulliot are good examples.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:20 AM

You deserve congratulations for your honesty. Countless people lack the talent to win at poker -- even at the lowest levels. It is a VERY tough game.

If you can't enjoy playing successfully at low limits, quitting is probably the smartest option.

On the other hand, I know lots of people who are quite content to play winning low limit poker. One of them is Bill Gates, and he's not too dumb.

I find it confusing that many people are happy playing recreational tennis, golf, bridge, etc., but feel obliged to move up in poker.

Games are played for pleasure, and, if you're playing for pleasure the amounts involved should be relatively unimportant.

Regards,

Al
Old 12-24-2004, 06:43 AM

Al, I read your book, but I don't understand your logic here. In golf for instance, you are naturally trying to improve your handicap. In poker, your handicap (measure of skill), can be represented by your limit to a certain extent. I don't mean to imply that there are not good players playing low limits, or bad ones at high limits of course, but it is the nature of competitive gaming to improve if you are able. I don't think the actual hours or time spent is the issue.