Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: K10s badly misplayed

[ QUOTE ]
A pair of kings wins it fair share of pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but doubtful it's 20% of raised family fish-fry pots with an Ace, a str8, and 3-flush onboard. And on the Turn you have to commit to 2 bets (minimum) to see this showdown for less than 10BB profit.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you trust the ten kicker because the limpers are bad, or against good limpers too? I can't like it against average or good players, because either I'm not getting action on my top pair, or paying off a better hand. Wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you replace "average or good" with "tight (and somewhat passive)" then you have a good chance of being correct - after all, domination is likely if you can place KJ/KQo/JT/AT in the open-limping and overlimping ranges (and eliminate other hands you have dominated, such as Kxs).

Now, if the read is "loose/fishy", we can basically paraphrase Eddy Miller and say, "A pair of Kings is a pretty good hand" - donkeys always draw and all that.

Also consider that if you're better post-flop than the other players, and you know that there are only 2 other Kings left in the deck, you may be able to utilize this advantage to help ameliorate situations like "can I trust my T kicker?"
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Raise PF, I peel on the flop, you're getting 12:1 with 4.5 outs, seems like an easy call although if SB likes to check raise after raising PF, I can let this go.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:55 PM

I always raise this preflop. Not only is the pair of tens or king good more than half the time against 2/4 fish limpers but it gets you a cheap turn and usually a free river card. The hand will still be multiway and you do want to isolate the worse players by raising. This would make the rest of the hand a lot easier to play. I fold flop to stay away from making mistakes later on.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 PM

I don't think the pf limp is terrible. I prefer a raise if the limpers are loose.

Facing a raise, your chances of domination go way up, and your potential to make a big hand or draw is not sufficient to 3-bet on that basis alone. Just call and see how you like the flop.

I call the flop bet getting 12:1 unless I think the chance of a c/r from the pf aggressor is very high.

I fold the turn. We're likely drawing slim or dead despite pairing.

The river overcall is very bad. SB's flop check usually means he's afraid of the A or has a monster. He seems to love the K or flush card, though, unless he's just worried about the turn checking through -- any way you look at it, he has something he likes. BB has previously chimed in to say that he was at least passibly fond of the flop, and he confirms it when he calls the turn lead. UTG+1 has also called at every opportunity despite the ace and flush on board.

These thing don't add up to a 14:1 chance of being ahead when you overcall. But then you already knew that.