Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Two 10+1 hands. How\'d I play them?

It really sucks not having a hand converter.

Hand 1

7 hands into tourney so no reads

Level 1: Blinds 10/15

I am dealt Jc, Jd

Fold, Fold, UTG+2(770) raises to 49, 3folds, CO(885) calls , Button folds, and Hero(770) calls 39, BB folds

I was thinking about reraising here but I figured it's early in the tourney and I didn't want to risk too many chips. Is that weak?

152 in pot
Flop: 8c, Kc, 5s

Hero checks, UTG+2 bets 97, CO folds, Hero calls.

I was thinking about raising but once again, I don't want to risk too many chips too early, however now I'm thinking that I might lose more by calling here and not getting any info that way.

Pot 346

Turn 6s
Hero bets 225...

What do you guys think of this hand? Should I have reraised the flop? Pre-flop?

Hand 2

Level 3: Blinds 25/50

I am dealt Ac, Jh

UTG folds, Hero(830) raises 150, UTG+2 all in for 380, 6 folds, BB(861) calls 330, Hero goes all in for 680...

A note on BB: my read on him is that he is loose. Not overly loose where he plays anything, but what I like to call WSOP loose. Early on in the tourney he pushed All in with A10o. He thinks highly of hands like Ax, Kx, suited connectors and the like.

I sensed that he didn't have anything strong here, and I was n't particularly worried about UTG+2 here, since he didn't have many chips and blinds are soon to be 100. Was my push a good move? I understand that I wasn't that low on chips but I decided to take a shot at doubling up now, before the blinds go to 50/100.

Was that a good play?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Two 10+1 hands. How\'d I play them?

IMHO..

Hand #1: Just calling is fine. But 3-way, you're basically playing them for set value (or a VERY cautious over-pair). With an over on the flop, I'm just giving this up. He's made a pretty standard 3/4 pot bet...could just have easily paired up with the K (or worse). I'm not investing anymore in this hand.

Hand #2: Looks like you're still 10-seated. I'm folding this one PF. Just too early of a position to jump in here. With your raise, a reraise AI, and a re-reraise push from BB...I'm folding this as well - despite your read and analysis of shortie's move. AJo will not fair too well 3-handed regardless of the holdings. Too much risk, too early. (Fold PF, if I haven't already mentioned this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Ps. If you had position on the JJ, a reraise PF is a valid option. From the blinds, I'm only calling.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:22 PM

#1 - Preflop call is okay by me. On the flop, this early in the tournament, I would probably just bet the flop and fold to a raise or check/fold. There's no reason spending too much money this early even when your cards are pretty.

#2 - Just fold this preflop. This is a weird time in the tournament where you are sitting at ~15BB. I really don't want to raise a hand from EP here that I'm not comfortable backing with my stack and AJ is definitely not a stack backing hand at this point.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:39 PM

there is a hand converter its sticked in the MTT forum.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:46 PM

#1- Preflop is ok, there is an argument for raising but it could go either way. On the flop however, if you are going to continue with the hand you have to reraise him, and fold to a reraise. You can't call.

#2-Easy fold. What do you expect you can beat here? Too early in the tourney. This screams -EV.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:01 PM

The only way I am re-raising with JJ is late in the game, on the bubble when I need to get my chips all in.

JJ is just not strong enough to re-raise with early. In fact, I am folding JJ if htere is a lot of raise and re-raise action ahead of me.

Hand 1 I check/fold the flop. You are against a couple opponents and there is good reason to believe one of them has a king.

Hand 2 I fold preflop, too many people left in and you are in too early of a position.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way I am re-raising with JJ is late in the game, on the bubble when I need to get my chips all in.

JJ is just not strong enough to re-raise with early. In fact, I am folding JJ if htere is a lot of raise and re-raise action ahead of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, should have added this to my post. I would have layed it down, but if you were going to continue with it you can't call.