Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Busted out right before dinner

Just got back from vegas and saw this thread. I played this one too - had a fantastic time at the tourney. This is my story if anyone cares to read.

My first table had no recognizable faces which I liked. First hand of the tournament I'm UTG or UTG+1 with 22 and I wussed out and threw it away. I was happy with my decision when a player on my left raised to 100, but then not so happy when 4 players called him, and the flop came J82. The first player on my table to bust out was replaced by Glenn Hughes. I finally picked up some chips when I reraised him holding KK. An A on the flop killed my action though, and he folded his QQ to my bet. Lost AA to a short stack's 44 allin preflop and was back down to about 1800 at the first break.

After the break (blinds 50-100) I pick up some chips when a guy open limps from the cutoff and I check in the BB with Q5. Flop comes AQ7, I bet 125, he calls. 5 comes on the turn, I bet 300 of his remaining 1200, and he raises allin, I call. He flips AK, and I knock him out when a blank rivers. In the next level (100-200) I call a short stack's UTG all-in preflop (~T800) and end up with a 3-way preflop allin with another short stack. I had AK vs QJ (UTG) vs 44 (BB) - and won the whole pot with an AKxxx board. I get a few more chips when I call in the BB with AQ against a raise in the CO. I check a flop of 345, and after his bet, I announce raise and put out the amount of his bet first. I'm still counting out chips figuring out how much to raise when he says "Oh did he say raise?" followed by him immediately mucking his cards. Pretty funny at the time.

The table breaks a little before the second break and I'm at a new table again with no known pros. I have about T5000 after the break when John D'Agostino fills a seat 2 to my right. He is down to ~T2000 when he completes from the SB into my BB and I look down at AKs. I decide that since there's a good chance I won't pair up on the flop and I don't want to let him outplay me afterward, I move him in right now and he folds. The blinds are coming around again when I find AKo UTG+1, and D'Agostino moves in for T1400 UTG. I move in my ~T5400 behind him with no other callers and knock him out when his Q9s doesn't improve.

My stack peaks at about T8700 in level 6 after some blind steals and a reraise with QQ. But I go card dead for a couple orbits and lose some chips in a blind battle with 68o. With about T6500 in the 150/300/25A level, a guy in middle position opens for T900 for the 3rd time in 4 hands. He was a tight player though, so I still figure him for a pair or a big A. I call from the SB with 66 and the BB folds. Flop comes A65 all hearts. I check, he bets 1400, and I raise all in. He calls instantly, but I still think I'm ahead or at least have full house outs. My jaw drops to the floor when he tables AA. Qh on the turn gives me some outs to split but a blank on the river and I'm out.

Had a great time though and at least I have a good story of knocking out a big pro. And for now I can say that the only thing that can knock me out of the WSOP is set over set. Hope the rest of you who played had fun too (and maybe made some money).