Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Poker Audio Books?

For such high education, you sure do lack in reading comprehension. Where did I say anything about not reading the books, smartass?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:23 AM

In previous threads I have mentioned that I would actually be interested in this project.

There are many things I am pretty mediocre to barely above-average at (poker included) but I have little doubt in my abilities to do a respectable job on something like this.

I worked in radio for well over a decade and am very comfortable in front of a microphone as well as reading and interpreting copy.

Maybe I should drop a line to Mason...although he might have previously stated that 2+2 is just not interested in doing this.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:38 AM

I've done some theatrical work in the past, so maybe I could help ;-) I just found your thread (didn't realize at first that search defaults to only in the past week), good luck on convincing Mason. As for me, I'll probably either dictate it into mp3 myself, or use some text to voice software. Not sure if I want to be listening to my own voice a couple hours a day.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:12 AM

Hi Everyone:

This comes up every now and then and right at the moment we feel that there are better projects for us to be doing.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-18-2005, 02:59 PM

I doubt 2+2 books would translate well to audio, assuming everyone reads them like I do. When I read a 2+2 book, I'm constantly pausing to contemplate, re-read a paragraph, reference another section, etc. This applies to most technical books, as opposed to straight narratives (novels, history, biographies, etc).

And what do you do with the problem sections, which seem to be the most useful part of the newer books? With HOH, you would have to verbally replace the nice table diagrams. No thanks.

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe some folks minds are just more absorbent than mine. In any case, I do think the material would have to be re-worked extensively for audio. Maybe a less technically intensive book would be readily adaptable (perhaps Getting Started in Hold 'em?).

Pasta
Old 03-18-2005, 03:51 PM

You make valid points, but I don't think anyone is asking for an audio book to replace the physical book. In my case, I've read SSH from cover to cover about five times now, but I still think it would be valuable to listen to post flop hand analysis in audio format when I have nothing else to occupy my mind. Also, if all people had to do to learn was just study texts, then colleges would be out of the education business. There is value in the combination of the written and spoken word to the student.

I have yet to read HoH, but I could imagine that there are some sections that wouldn't translate well to audio such as the charts that you mentioned, but I think that there are some that would.

It's a moot point since Mr. Malmuth has already given us his position on this matter, but there would be value in such a project. Financially, though, I can see how this would not be high on 2+2's priority list.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL! You are too funny! Where did you go to joke school????

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually went to being awesome school.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:10 PM

Solution found!

Have a friend who is having a bad run of cards and hits you up for money read books into a mike. He gets $$ and you get an audio book. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any 2+2 books in audio format that I could purchase? Specifically I'd like SSHE and Harrington's new book. I have a longish commute (40-50 min) and listening to poker knowledge during that time seems would be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got an ipod, and my solution to the audio book problem was to put the audio track from the Sklansky DVD onto the iPod.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any 2+2 books in audio format that I could purchase? Specifically I'd like SSHE and Harrington's new book. I have a longish commute (40-50 min) and listening to poker knowledge during that time seems would be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got an ipod, and my solution to the audio book problem was to put the audio track from the Sklansky DVD onto the iPod.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen the Sklansky DVD. Is it worth the time and effort to get the DVD, rip the audio track, etc etc? In other words, does the audio track alone have high multiple-listen value?