Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Does stalling late in tournies actually do anything for ya?

The only time I find stalling to be effective is when my table gets short handed for a minute due to multiple busts. In that situation I might stall a minute to get some new players. I do this for two reasons. First I don't want to play the blinds a few hands early. More importantly I don't want the new player to sit down behind the blinds getting 1.5 orbits before the pay their blinds.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw the smartest use of selective stalling in a tournament recently.

The tournament was right on the bubble, one until the money. On another table, a small stack in the big blind was facing a call of his remaining 100 chips (after posting) into a pot of over 2000. Pot odds made the call very tempting.

However, the guy was smart. He waited until the action was done on all the other tables. He saw that another person had gone out on another table and promptly folded, making it into the $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was that smart? If another player had already busted, he was ITM whether he lost the hand or not, right? When they are not on the same table, their stacks at the beginning of the respective hands doesn't matter, as the other player was knocked out first - so he passed a pot with 20:1 pot odds..

I never stall, I hate people doing it - but as said, it's useful for fish, as they will lose less money. So it's just a part of their strategy - don't blame them, blame the poker rooms that allow stalling because they're not playing HTH on the bubble.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:51 PM

I agree with the first few responses that say you should never play like this. I also agree that I do this in turbo tournaments... The difference is that, in turbos, the blinds are so huge compared to stack sizes that every hand means 1 person per table will probably get knocked out.

In any case, to provide options: I'd stop playing at any site that doesn't do hand for hand, and sign up for a different site. My favorite tournament sites are Stars and Party. Stars because I absolutely love their structure, and Party because they are so large and often fishy.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate stallers. Thats all im going to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most stallers early in the tournie tend to irate someone into AI when the staller has a hand. I think they do it sometimes to put another donk on tilt and try 4 a cheap double up.