Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Pre-Flop Aggression and learning to play post-flop

Two questions:

How many people feel its important to be aggressive pre-flop in PLO8?

Is it my train of thought to allow more potential 2nd best hands to hit the flop and win those extra bets, rather then taking the dead money pre-flop.

Would you advocate weak-tight play pre-flop in order to see more flops and learn post-flop play as cheaply as possible? (for a beginner player)
Old 08-09-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Pre-Flop Aggression and learning to play post-flop

At first, I recommend doing whatever is most comfortable for you. Seriously. You're not going to achieve nice results by unnaturally forcing yourself to raise medium-strength hands to get to PFR of 15 because you won't play correctly post-flop since you may be too accustomed to nut-peddling.

Instead, gradually work up your confidence & experience in raising increasingly preflop. Eventually you will learn experientially how raising 12-15% of the time PF does not discourage your opponents from calling, because they will pick up on your aggression (you'll be showing down aggressively played A4JQ's when the flop fits nicely, for example) and be more likely to play out of frustration and so that they do not get run over.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:31 PM

I can call myself guilty for not raising very rarely pre-flop and mostly nut-peddling with an occasional steal bluff post-flop if I sense weakness.

Its profitable, but I'd like to see where I could pick up a few extra bets.

Thanks Winter!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:51 PM

I find in potlimit preflop raising is very important in two respects: Building a larger pot early with hopefully the best hand and trying to buy the button. When you build a big pot early it really allows you make bigger bets postflop. Alot of skill in pot limit is in pot size manipulation.

Buying the button allows you to act last which is always a good thing.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Omaha is definitely a flop game, I love seeing flops and outplaying my opponents after the flop. I don't raise preflop very often, unless I am first in the pot in late position with a strong hand; or have a monster hand with alot of limpers, I raise to build my pot; or at a final table in a MTT, when others tighten up to move up a spot or two in the money. To me, with huge hands, you want to have the pot go multi-way, to give yourself more chips, especially if you have a 2-way hand.