Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 01:24 AM

Default 1st WSOP 2005 hand,how would YOU have played it? X-Post

Ok, here it goes again, the settings:
Day 1b of the WSOP Main Event, I have about 20 backers who has won or earned a piece of me through playing at The Gaming Club Poker Room.

I was delayed a few minutes in getting to my seat but nothing major, and everyone at my table had approximately 10 000 chips and no one had gone out yet.

I sit down and look at my table, no name players I am actually not happy about that, always more fun to tell stories how you beat Phil Helmut with a bluff etc J

First hand I got the button and 4 or limpers before it gets to me, blinds 25-50, I look down and see pocket 7’s.
What would you do here?

I limp, so do the blinds.

Flop is 2,7J twotone clubs.

Everyone checks to me, What would you do now?

I bet, 275...

All fold except a mid position limper (not first limper) who re-raises me 725 to 1000.…

JJ!?

Hmmm… The player is very young and he got quite a few 25 chips in front of him, must have been in a few pots already…
So… what could he have… JJ of course, but 22 too!
J7s? Perhaps, J2 or 27, not very likely.
AA,KK,QQ maybe..

TT ,99,88 not very likely
Two clubs, that could fit the bill.
Ax Clubs or 8,9c 9,10c or 8,Tc sure.

Now if he has
Two clubs, which is the only hand I am in front of that I am worried about, how much to bet to get him out?

I would have to bet 4000 or more which is of course an option, however I decide just to call, hoping for more money in from his end on the club-free turn

Turn is a rainbow 8...

2300 in the pot and he checks to me…

What would you do now?

I bet 1500...

He re-raises 6000 basically the same as all-in…
Would you fold now? Basically I need to put 7 000 in the pot for a chance to win 20 000.…

I thought for a long while, what could he have?

JJ was a concern, but hey, he might just as well have 22 and I am getting odds..
T,9 of clubs.. Scary but I still have 10 redraw outs…
Any two clubs… I’ll take that any day!
7,J, Bring it On!
88? Oh well, ok…

AA,KK,QQ, J!
A Bluff (Harrington says 10%)…

I called…

He had 9,To….

River was…

Kc

gg

ToT
Old 07-10-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: 1st WSOP 2005 hand,how would YOU have played it? X-Post

Obviously this was lost on the flop where I dont quite understand your reasoning. If he has two pair, a lower set, then he is paying you off if you raise to 3-4k. If he is drawing with clubs or a straight, then he is either going to call and draw or fold and you can take down the already decent sized pot. You are giving him a free card with hope for more money later, when of course he is only going to put in more money later if he hits his draw (and if he already had a hand, he would have put it in on the flop). You goal in the WSOP day 1 is to survive, and you got a little too cute here, and combine that with a little bad luck and you had an early exit.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:47 AM

I can't comment because I keep vomiting everytime I read it. Sorry.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:32 AM

If you had discounted JJ on the flop, I don't see any reason not to get the money in there. Like the others have said, you will be paid off by a lot of the hands that you have beat.

If you are scared of JJ, then I could see playing this one meekly on the flop and checking behind on the turn.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't comment because I keep vomiting everytime I read it. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-10-2005, 03:56 AM

You can't be afraid of set over set. Pop him back on the flop and take it down or get the guy that limped with AA/KK or that flopped a crazy two pair to go broke. You've got to remember that if the guy is check-raising on a semi bluff then he's not paying you off unless his hand hits anyway so raise him off the hand.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:48 AM

I think the only play that is debatable here is the call on the flop.

I don't know what the correct play is, but I want to make two comments.

1) I would not be worried about JJ at all. 22 is significantly more likely since he didn't raise preflop, and he will play 22 almost exactly the same way. Since he isn't folding either hand, and JJ is FAR less likely, there is no need to ever consider a fold on the flop, or consider a fold on the turn because of JJ as a possibility.

2) A lot of posters have missed the biggest advantage to calling on the flop. If he has a hand like JT, A7, or is just on a complete bluff, there is a very good chance he will fire another bet on the turn, which is clearly better than having him fold to your reraise.

That being said, I still don't know what the best flop play is.

Edit: Primarily due to the deep stacks, and the importance of survival this early point in the tournament, I am leaning towards a reraise on the flop.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:12 AM

I would have played the hand almost exactly the same way, maybe I bet a little more in the turn; but there is nothing you can do here. Don't beat yourself up, that's poker.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:24 AM

You cannot be afraid of set over set. If that's the case you will lose most of your stack anyway. You have a monster hand, I would have reraised strong there to at least 4k. Safe play would have actually been to be very aggr, you want to take down a medium flop and that's it.

After the flop, not much you can do, and the straight was very hard to see being a gut shot. This was the danger with your hand, it was impossible to give up if your opponent hit something better.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:20 AM

check-raise with a crappy draw... how ridiculous..

I'm sick just thinking about it.

Since i didn't even give him credit for that type of a hand, the only thing i'd be worried about on that flop is a Pair + Flush Draw Hand (of course the flush draw is the only thing that matters to you)

but you can't think he has 10 9.... that's just not sane for him to play it that way. I think i lose my money here a pretty high % of the time... I mean if he has a sane hand you are trapping him well here.