Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 05:30 AM

Default Would you bet in this place?

A pretty fishy 20/40$ live holdem. I just changed my seat to get position over 3 calling station, who play almost every hand. This time I'm in late MP (3 off the button) and I limp in with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] after 4 players already limped in. Folded to the weak playing button, who raises. Everybody calls and seven players see the flop:

5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to a player in EP, who bets, I call, as well as the other players, button raises and we all call.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked to me and I bet with my double gut-shot and flush draw. Button calls and we lose 3 players. 4 (including me) to the river:

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I check too as I missed. Button checks and one of the EP, who has 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] takes down the huge pot.

Ok, where are my mistakes, did I play the hand allright? Fold preflop? Raise the flop? Check the turn? All comments appreciated....
Old 05-24-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Would you bet in this place?

I would've limp-3-bet the flop and checked the turn. 9-high is not taking it down there, hope it gets checked through.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM

Usually you aren't giving up that much by not raising a good draw on the flop multiway. But with 7 players in none of whom look like they are folding, I think you are giving up too much when you don't 3 bet the turn here. Although if you knew someone had Q9 it would be fine, so maybe it's ok to be cautious.

On the turn, while you might actually be making money if you bet and 3 people call like happened, I think you are better of just checking. If you bet and the button raises you hate it. And your chance of just taking down the pot seems very very slim.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:05 PM

I would have checked the flop like you did, but then 3-bet when it comes back to me with 34981 people in for two bets.