Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 AM

Default I have what is called the wheel....

It has earthy undertones, a smooth draw and enough kick to...

Heads up 20/40.

Villain is aggressive on third with any pair. If he brings-in, I complete, and he raises me back, this means he has a pair. If I reraise, he still sometimes doesn't give me credit for a pair, especially if his kicker matches my door. If this is the case, he might go ahead and cap third to let me know he really has a pair.

This hand might be standard, but I just wanted to check. The main question is the river. I bet intending to 3-bet and call a cap here. Another option is to checkraise because I know he will value bet two pair. Is it better to checkraise and call a 3-bet?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.20 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls

4th Street - (8.20 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (5.10 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.10 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.10 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___raises___
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Old 12-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: I have what is called the wheel....

Would your opponent raise you on the river with two pair? Seems unlikely since you have clearly indicated you have aces so he should fear aces up. So what does he raise you with? Some kind of completed hand? My guess is he either hit some kind of flush or made trips somewhere which is why he would raise you. If you get 4-bet, you are likely effed when you put in the last bet. If you know he will VB two pair, I like checkraising the river better bc he might not 3-bet a made hand here, fearing a boat. But even if he does, it costs you three bets instead of four.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would your opponent raise you on the river with two pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he definitely would, but I think it's quite possible. And he definitely expects me to call a raise with unimproved aces. And he's definitely planning on calling a 3-bet no matter what he has.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:05 AM

There are some subtle things to consider.

1. If he picked up a 4-flush, especially on 5th, there's a decent chance he would consider raising. So I think this decreases the likelihood that he backed into a flush.

2. If he hit trips before the river he would DEFINITELY raise. So this decreases the likelihood of a full house.

3. Even if he hit just two pair before the river I think he would probably raise on 6th (provided I didn't make an open pair), or maybe as soon as he hit it. The only reason he would not is he is scared to get raised if/when I hit two pair. But if he waited until the river to raise, he would figure I wouldn't reraise with aces up (though he would still call I raise I'm almost sure of it).

So to have me beat it has to be the case that either

(a) He had trips, didn't raise, then boated on the river.
(b) He had two pair, didn't raise, then boated on the river.
(c) He had a 4-flush, didn't raise, then hit on the river.

I think that the likelihood of (a) is next to zero, (b) is quite unlikely, and while (c) is certainly possible, there's no reason to think he has to have two diamonds in the hole and then hit.

As I mentioned before, he might be inclined to raise the river with two pair because it decreases the chance I'll 3-bet him and he knows I'll call the raise with unimproved aces.

However, once he raises the river I think trips is the most likely hand, then two pair, then a flush, then a boat. If he caps my 3-bet I'm almost surely toast, but I think he is capable of capping with trips here.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 AM

I don't disagree with what you said, but I don't get the river 3bet. When you bet you rep at leat a pair of aces. It's possible he might raise with 2 small pair, but even if he has this specific hand he only raises with it occasionally. The minimum you can give him credit for is a ballsy 2pair or rivered trips. Is he calling a 3bet with small 2 pair? If not the only hand that you can value bet is trips. You also said he's capable of capping with trips so you will have to call if he caps which even further reduces the value you can get out of this value bet. You will be a huge underdog to win if this comes back to you capped.

Small chance of 2 pair raise + can only value bet trips + having to pay off a cap + big chance of it being capped + small chance of being ahead when paying off = losing play doesn't it?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is he calling a 3bet with small 2 pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, without a doubt. There's even an outside chance he will call with one pair if he was bluffing trying to get me to fold one bigger pair and is praying that I am bluff 3-betting.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 AM

seems to me like he doesn't have to give you credit for a low draw here if he puts you on aces on 3rd, he may have picked up a low draw on 6th, and maybe caught the ace of diamonds on the river?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM

I play a fair bit of 2-4 head up, and my experience is that aggression on early streets is rampant, but on later streets, especially the river, it usually means a strong hand. Best case to me is he has trips here. Worst case is the flush or full.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems to me like he doesn't have to give you credit for a low draw here if he puts you on aces on 3rd, he may have picked up a low draw on 6th, and maybe caught the ace of diamonds on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stud High.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Results

I 3-bet and he just called. He had pocket 77 and rivered tens up.

Thanks for the replies. I still think 3-betting is correct because I felt like I was good way more than the necessary 2/3 times for 3-betting and calling a cap to be profitable. It is just too likely for him to raise with trips or two pair on the end and unlikely for him to have a better hand given that he didn't raise on any of the previous streets.