Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How long have you played?
more than 5 years 23 6.73%
3-5 years 19 5.56%
2-3 years 92 26.90%
1 year 105 30.70%
less than 1 year 103 30.12%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Splitting the bill.

I have circles of friends with which I know for sure whether splitting the bill will result in either more than enough for a good tip, and other circles of friends where it always takes another go-round of chiseling bills from people's wallets.

How people can't remember tax, tip, and the appetizers we ordered for the table, I don't know.

But I do know which group of friends I would rather go out to dinner with, and which I prefer to just invite over to the house for dinner.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How people can't remember tax, tip, and the appetizers we ordered for the table, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

they remember.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM

At the company I started my career we used to do the CC in a hat routine for each Friday's lunch.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 PM

I can't stand when people don't want to just do it simply. Add a tip, split the bill, that's it. If I had a few more drinks than anyone else, I'll throw in a little extra. Just keep it simple. The point of going out to eat with friends is to have a good time, not to nitpick. Whenever I'm with people who insist on divying up the check proportionatly, somehow, the waitress winds up getting shorted on a tip and I wind up having to throw in an extra $10 so she doens't get stiffed.

Stop being so [censored] cheap.

Edit: And the real simple way, if you eat out with the same gorup of people a lot, is just have someone pay each time. I do this with a couple of friends all the time. One night I'll take care of it, another one of them will. It's so simple.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 PM

After college with friends or with work people,it is merely a choice of "split evenly", picking it up as a friendly act or credit card roullette. Anything else is lame. If a friend abuses the "split evenly", realize you have testicles and tell him to quit it.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 PM

If the place will do seperate checks, I do that. Otherwise I prefer an even split. My friends and I eat out often enough that the different is marginal.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't stand when people don't want to just do it simply. Add a tip, split the bill, that's it. If I had a few more drinks than anyone else, I'll throw in a little extra. Just keep it simple. The point of going out to eat with friends is to have a good time, not to nitpick. Whenever I'm with people who insist on divying up the check proportionatly, somehow, the waitress winds up getting shorted on a tip and I wind up having to throw in an extra $10 so she doens't get stiffed.

Stop being so [censored] cheap.

Edit: And the real simple way, if you eat out with the same gorup of people a lot, is just have someone pay each time. I do this with a couple of friends all the time. One night I'll take care of it, another one of them will. It's so simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all, it's not about nitpicking, when we go out, all of my friends simply take turns looking at the bill and paying what they owe. nobody is going around telling everyone to put in this and that, it's just that everyone understands the concept of paying for what they ordered. it's not a hard concept to grasp.

secondly, maybe it's just because i like to hang out with intelligent poeple, but the bill is never short, and is almost always too much, resulting in a huge tip.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 PM

The people who don't want to chop it up are nits who order soup and salad at the steak place and prefer water to sharing a bottle of wine. They are also the people who will "forget" the tax and tip when everyone is asked to throw in. If it is a social occasion it will be a lot more fun if everyone orders/eats in the same spirit... and this will make chopping the bill equitable as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, it's not about nitpicking, when we go out, all of my friends simply take turns looking at the bill and paying what they owe. nobody is going around telling everyone to put in this and that, it's just that everyone understands the concept of paying for what they ordered. it's not a hard concept to grasp.

secondly, maybe it's just because i like to hang out with intelligent poeple, but the bill is never short, and is almost always too much, resulting in a huge tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize this is not normal right? If you go out to dinner with two people, and one of them has a beer, do you go through the effort to figure out that he owes $3.00 more than the other two who ordered cokes? I realize it is not that much effort, but it just seems so petty.

Daryn: Ok, I owe $23.50
Friend 1: Ok, I owe $24.25, I got a diet coke.
Friend 2 (the drinker): Well, I got a beer, so it comes to $27.00

Isn't it easier for everyone to just throw $25 and leave?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM

Yes, but what happens when one person orders a water and a salad, and another person orders two beers and a steak?