Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Default first questionable small stakes hand

Edit: Oops, forgot reads. Villain has 5.4 post flop aggression.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: first questionable small stakes hand

Preflop is really bad.

The flop call is fine, but I'd fold the turn without a read on BB.

Rob
Old 04-24-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-24-2005, 08:23 PM

Biggest question I see is with the preflop limp...second in from MP1 is more than a little thin with JTo. It worked out since it wasn't raised behind you and you wound up with enough players to make it work, but this is not a play you should be making often.

This flop might be a spot where you can raise the bet from SB on a free card play. You've got 4 outs to the nut straight + 2 overcards...I'd rather raise to gain the button &amp; maybe even knock out a better J or T.

Turn cold call is okay. TPMK + the gutshot is good enough to call 2 getting 8:1, especially since the raiser was the BB (meaning you may well have him outkicked with top pair).

River plays itself.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think the turn is pretty close between calling, raising, and folding. I think folding is slightly worse than the other 2 though. I think I like 3-betting best. there's a good chance you have the best hand, SB has outs that he might fold for 2 more bets, and you can shove out the button to gain position on the river.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:07 PM

What a terrible hand. You can't call this preflop. The only acceptable outcome when you call this preflop is that everyone folds behind you. The more callers behind you, the worse for you since if you hit top pair, it will be expensive for you.......why, look what happened this hand on the turn!

On the turn, in the long run, if you call this you might recoup part of your call. So you may be better off calling than folding by a slim margin. Probably folding is worst, then raising, then calling. But there's nothing you can do on the turn to make this a winning play.