Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Poor etiquette?

[ QUOTE ]
The river bet was probably not your best move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually love it. He already labeled player 2 as a chaser. If he has any remote possibility of getting player one (who has to worry about an overcall or raise behind them) to muck a better hand like he almost did, its a must here. I'd bet this river every time in such a position.

Mike Emery
Old 12-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Well, after just getting back following a 5k slaughter, I have to say, this doesn't really upset me much. He called your bet and wants to know what pair you have before he rakes the pot. It's kinda dickish but I mean, he wants to see your hold cards because he called your bet. If he just said, I have aces, he would have to turn his hand up (per the usual custom) and you would just muck. Might as well see what you fired on every street with.

People are MUCH more dickish at a higher levels, you def have to let stuff like this roll off.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Blumpkin, if you just said "I have a pair of queens", this wouldn't have happened. I don't think his behavior is over the edge.

Also, you should have maybe limped on third, then he probably wouldn't have gotten that ace. But of course, you know that, and won't make that mistake anymore.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:10 PM

I miss the commerce...actually this is pretty mild behavior for that venue and I don't think it's really all that out of line. He did in fact call you. You are the one who should be showing first. I would have tried to do a nice shuffle to show that I bet the river with queens and a four flush vs catching it the heart on the river. Make him think his had was calling thin.

Did you get to see the guys hand...I would want to see what the guy called a raise with on third. Did he start with a three flush ace high. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just two big cards. What I call a CBA player - California Burried Ace. The speciality of the commerce, which players across the world have adopted!!! So you can add that to my poker acronyms...STF=Super Target Fish!

When someone does this, I say great. Lets see the hand.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 PM

His three cards were AT5 rainbow. Puke.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blumpkin, if you just said "I have a pair of queens", this wouldn't have happened. I don't think his behavior is over the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
People are MUCH more dickish at a higher levels, you def have to let stuff like this roll off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you guys are right.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 AM

I don't think his behavior is out of line if his goal is to see your hand, rather than have you muck. I often ask people to show when I call before I show. As a caller, you have the right to see your opponents cards. When I am the one who is called, I usually just table my hand or declare it fully -- or both. Now, if he did it to mess with you, knowing that his aces beat any possible pair and he just wanted to make you squirm, then yeah he's being a dick. Don't let him annoy you, though.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 PM

I may take some heat on this, but when I call a bet, if my opponent doesn’t muck, he’s showing his cards. I’ve seen too many jack-off betters get called, make like they lost (or say ‘whaddya got?’), have caller show his cards, then say ‘wait I can beat that…’

Even if I have the nuts or near nuts, I want to see your cards. I **paid** to see your cards. Show them or muck them, and be quick about it.

There wouldn’t be ‘slow rolling’ if people just showed their hand when they got called.

Ok, commence flaming....
Old 12-06-2005, 01:14 PM

With a slightly less anti-social spin, I agree with you 100%. I call, you show. What's so hard about that?