Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Bet/Raise, Check/Check, Bet/Raise, Check/Check, Bet/Raise

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (6.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (3.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (7.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (11.00 BB)
Old 10-21-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Bet/Raise, Check/Check, Bet/Raise, Check/Check, Bet/Raise

doesnt that 5th street raise kinda define your hand? i dont really see any fold equity in it. (coming from a newb)
Old 10-21-2005, 07:55 AM

I call third. Its interesting seat 7 folded after completing the bring in.. Was that yellowmoon/redboy?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:25 AM

I don't really like the raise on 3rd with this structure. I would go for other callers and play a volume pot, but I'm not that upset about it (you're a good player, I understand what you were doing, etc, and I would occ. do it also).

On 4th, bet while it's cheap so you don't get charged a big bet if you brick on 5th. As played, I don't really like 5th either personally. You have zero fold equity here, your board looks very ragged and I think you very well could get reraised by two pair here (dep. on your opponent). It also kinda defines your hand. If you have good control over this guy, a raise is ok, but if I'm villian and you rag 6th, I'm leading right into your ass again just to be sure you weren't free carding me. Generally, I like to call 5th and raise 6th if I hit a flush or pair.

Seventh Street: Perfect.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
doesnt that 5th street raise kinda define your hand? i dont really see any fold equity in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with both parts of that: the raise (especially followed by check) really defines your hand AND you have basically no fold equity. If you hit a heart on 6th it shouldn't be that hard for opponent to get away from, but if you had just called he will often bet one more time and you get to raise him at that point, when you are actually a favorite. That's a lot more profitable.

Betting 4th would be fine, or just calling on 5th.

I like 3rd street. I see what Jeffage is saying about the structure but it's amazing what aggression can do for you. Recently some schmo folded rolled sixes against my bare aces, just because I raised on 3rd and caught a second ace on 4th... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like the raise on 3rd with this structure. I would go for other callers and play a volume pot, but I'm not that upset about it (you're a good player, I understand what you were doing, etc, and I would occ. do it also).

[/ QUOTE ]

My default is calling 3rd here. But in a session a few days prior, I played a 3-flush like this and then got paid off again and again when I had big pairs in the hole. But I agree that one should call here the majority of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
On 4th, bet while it's cheap so you don't get charged a big bet if you brick on 5th. As played, I don't really like 5th either personally. You have zero fold equity here, your board looks very ragged and I think you very well could get reraised by two pair here (dep. on your opponent). It also kinda defines your hand. If you have good control over this guy, a raise is ok, but if I'm villian and you rag 6th, I'm leading right into your ass again just to be sure you weren't free carding me. Generally, I like to call 5th and raise 6th if I hit a flush or pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking at the time was to check the 4th brick with the intention of raising a nice 5th street card (and him not making an open pair). Thus I could (hopefully) take a free card on sixth if I did not improve. The problem is that after the 3rd street action, perhaps I am seeing the river always (unless he pairs his queen or makes an open pair when I still have no pair and no draw). My thinking during the hand was that if I bricked on both fourth and fifth I was folding.

I was almost 100% certain that he was seeing the river, so the raise on 5th had minimal fold equity, as was pointed out, unless perhaps if I made an open pair on 6th. However, even in this case I thought it was possible he would see the river and call the river if he made two pair.

Nevertheless, I was also fairly sure that he wouldn't 3-bet 5th street with queens or kings up, but only if he had, say, a set of jacks. While good thinking aggressive players would quite possibly 3-bet, I think the odd way that I played the hand would worry him enough to just call if for no other reason than absolute confusion. Consequently, I thought it was better to raise 5th for a possible free card play. At worst my read was that he might just call 5th but bet 6th.

Anyway, I agree that this hand could have been played out very differently, and possibly in a way that would have better maximized my expected value. But sometimes it's best to change gears a little to keep more observent opponents guessing on subsequent hands. (How observerant are these players? I think they are observent although they don't usually know the right thing to do with the information they take in.)
Old 10-22-2005, 12:39 PM

I'm with Jeffage on this one, but I really enjoyed reading this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]