Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Default 65s from BB, 20/40ish

Crypto 10/20 pound game. Villain has 2200 I cover, he is solid, not fancy, sorry that's the best read I have. My image is likely average ability/tight player.

6 handed villain makes it 80 UTG, CO calls, and it's on me in the BB getting 190:60 or just better than 3:1 closing the action. I have 65s and find it an easy call - is it really, "easy"?

flop 6s5s2d so I make top two on a drawy board. I check, villain bets 200, CO folds.

250 (450 with his bet) in pot and its 200 to me, I make it 500. Villain calls.

turn is [6s5s2d] 9s I check, villain bets 1k into pot of 1350, and he has about 700 behind.

How is it so far? What's my move from here?

thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: 65s from BB, 20/40ish

preflop is fine, on the flop raise way more and probably allin or call.
look what happened on fourth, u did it to yourself.
now, id prob fold, but getting it in would be ok as well... just like everything, v playr dependent.
u check and now he just happily sticks his $$ i there on the scariest card in the deck, ugh... looks like flush is v likely here.

BTW/ leading out on these flops is gonna be the play most of the time... if you get raised by a big pair or draw, u can go ahead and get it allin, u prevent it from checking around, because there are not alot of turn carsds that are good for u, and once u show down some big hands in these sits., u are in a better position to be leading out w/ no hand whatsoever often as opposed to checking and allowing the PFR to take the pot w/ a bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 AM

I think his most likely hand here is an overpair with a big spade. I am not folding here, although I would have either bet/3bet the flop or check-raised more.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 AM

Most importantly, you need to lead here.

Given that you didn't and the pot was $450 w/ his bet you barely min-raised him, I'd make it $800 more.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:26 AM

thanks for the replies guys.

I'm sure it's the limit player in me, but I don't see why a flop check-raise is bad. I do see how it could have been larger.

How often do I lead here and win outright, or just get cold-called? I understand a lead allows you to get it all-in on the flop, but my line allows all-in on a safe turn (basically non-spade i guess.

I guess im saying that I see the merit to leading this flop, especially multiway, but I'm not sure it is clearly better...I could check-rasie all-in on an overbet looking bluff that AA-QQ might call?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
II could check-rasie all-in on an overbet looking bluff that A high pair might call...

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, good idea.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do I lead here and win outright, or just get cold-called?

[/ QUOTE ]

You say it as if these are bad things. Like flawless said, what about next time you lead your flush draw/nothing, and he folds? Or just calls and gives you a nice 'free' chance to make your flush.

BTW, if you lead, and they have a hand they are willing to felt with, they will rightly or wrongly nearly always raise. Only the better players will call in spots like this, looking to get their money in in much better shape v your range on a safe turn.

FWIW, no, I do not think check-raising is bad. You have to mix it up now and then. Like everyone said, I would go a lot more, probably allin.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:39 AM

"I could check-rasie all-in on an overbet looking bluff that AA-QQ might call? "

Most players would read a flop check-raise all in as a big draw. Even if they dont, very few fold QQ-AA in that spot. This is why I think it's a good play, although if they have those hands you will likely get it all in if you lead as well.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:51 AM

if you want to open push the turn on a non-spade, non-deuce, you'll have to make it at least 650 on the flop.

pot will be $1550 and he'll have around $1500 left. However, big pairs can fold a lot easier on the turn after this kind of action. Like flawless said, leading then 3-bet all-in will get more calls from overpairs on the flop.
your way makes pot of $1250 with him having ~$1700 left.

as is, if he has overpair w/a spade he has 16 wins, if he has a flush u have four wins. I still think my hand might be good but on a river spade, 9, 2, i'll still be able to get away. I'd make a thin call on the turn and push a blank river. (or you can do what the guy did against flexduck and call the turn and push on a high spade.)

this guy is commited if you push on the turn or river so I'd prefer to see a blank on the river before getting it in.

btw, is the other guy a limit player too? I don't like putting myself in a position where I have 700 left in a $3.3k pot w/one pair?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I could check-rasie all-in on an overbet looking bluff that AA-QQ might call? "

Most players would read a flop check-raise all in as a big draw. Even if they dont, very few fold QQ-AA in that spot. This is why I think it's a good play, although if they have those hands you will likely get it all in if you lead as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/a check-raise all-in, the price isn't good enough for good players to make an overcall w/a big pair.

better players will realize they are 50/50 or big dog and given the huge overbet, they can still fold as a minimum mistake.

odds-wise calling a check-raise would be, (650 + 1920)/1920 = 1.33

bad enough to fold imo.