Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Waiting until the river to raise

My standard move is a general blah blah raise turn blah, they might call down with a K. I didn't have a solid read on him other than he was a TAG, I knew he was pretty aggressive. I've just been playing around with different lines on steals.
I thought it was possible he'd call the river raise with a K, this is not an attempt to get a better hand to fold.

Also, in case anybody suggests a preflop raise, I've started thinking more that mixing it up significantly with most preflop hands induces more profitable postflop mistakes in steal situations. This isn't an argument to limp AK or some crap like that. In this specific case, the check was actually a misclick.

I did notice at least 5 times with this specific player where he tried the complete/bet action on steals.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Waiting until the river to raise

mixing it up isn't bad, and apart from not raising preflop, I don't think this is a bad way to do it.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 PM

i would prefer to put 1 bet in on the river fgiven the board and the opponent (tag)
Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would prefer to put 1 bet in on the river fgiven the board and the opponent (tag)

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you think of a situation in which you'd like this? Board's not fantastic, but his stealing hands are going to be far likelier to have 1 broadway over two. I've almost never done this donkey crap, just looking for spots.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:06 PM

I like it, only monsters will 3bet you and you will probably get calls from some who are just "curious". To top it off, you are ahead of a great part of his range, not to mention pure BS.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 PM

i like how you played it but i would call the river. i would raise the river with a better hand. say 2 pair.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 AM

I agree that mixing it up is fine, but I hate doing this crap because I never know where I stand in the hand. Raising on the turn gives you information about his hand, and if raised you can call and chuck on the river UI (not necessarily this hand--you would call down.)

But anyways, as I was saying, in other hands this situation kinda sucks, because if you get 3-bet on the river, you have to call. The turn gives you an opportunity to get away from the hand.

Someone comment on this please. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 AM

U mentioned preflop, which u should usually be raising, but u know all that jazz.

The way I play this depends on feel. Sometimes I raise Flop as he probably wont give u credit for an Ace and will possibly call u down, maybe folding the river UI. Othertimes I just let him keep firing to the river, if he doesnt fire that last barrel per usual, then pop the turn.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:33 AM

This is an interesting hand because I believe the small blind thinks you would have raised preflop if you had an ace. You are a TAG, that is what you do.
So calling the flop is nice, but I would raise the turn.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:34 AM

what does a tag do with a hand you beat on the turn?

what does a tag do with a hand that beats you on the turn?