Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Default AK + gutshot on turn

Party Poker Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

What do you do against different kinds of Villains? (i.e. aggro, passive, erratic, typical, etc.).

This situation comes up a lot with AK/AQ facing a cold-caller too, when you have a lot of outs playing a board that hits a lot of reasonable hands. Reverse domination is possible too.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: AK + gutshot on turn

I bet one more time on the turn, in case villian was sticking in with low connectors or a small pair. Check/fold the river.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do against different kinds of Villains? (i.e. aggro, passive, erratic, typical, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, I bet the turn. If your opponent is not very passive, bet a river brick as well. If you get raised, try to put him on a hand range and go from there - the fact that he limped UTG should make that a little easier unless he's a fish.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:51 PM

My problem is when you're raised a lot on this turn. There are tons of draws and pair hands out there, and if Villain might raise most/all of these hands, is it a good spot to check/call?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is when you're raised a lot on this turn. There are tons of draws and pair hands out there, and if Villain might raise most/all of these hands, is it a good spot to check/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it really depends on the opponent. It would really help to know what he would limp UTG with though. If he's a fish, it could be anything. If he plays reasonably well preflop, then it's probably a small-med pocket pair or middle suited connectors. You didn't get reraised, so he's not slowplaying AA-QQ.

Assuming we know nothing about his preflop play, then if he's:

Weak: Bet. The board looks just as scary for him as you (maybe scarier). If he sticks around, you can probably check/fold the river. You can probably get him to fold a small pair.

Passive: Bet/fold the turn and check/fold a river brick.

Aggressive: If he thinks at all, he's going to realize that your pre-flop raise from BB probably means you don't have a 9, so he would be far more likely to bluff this turn. So if he's very aggressive and likely to bluff, check/call the turn and a river brick might be better than betting out.