Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Intentionally walking right into a check raise.

This type of hand comes up every now and then in the right scenarios, wanted some feed back on this.

BB is a decent player, I wouldn't say solid, he's decent. Very aggressive, but can fold hands when he thinks he's beat, but will be relentless until you make him put on the brakes.

Party Poker 15-30 (10 handed)
Folded to Bunky in the CO and I open with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Button folds, SB folds, Villain smooth calls.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet, villain calls. Who doesn't feel that checkraise coming?

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet, villain checkraises, I smooth call. (who likes a three bet there?)

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets, now I raise, villain thinks and calls.

Anyone else like waiting til the river? I felt the possibility too strong that he fold to a three bet after he checkraised me on the turn. Hencec my wait until the river to pop him. Line okay?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Intentionally walking right into a check raise.

I know natethegreat made the point somewhere that sometimes he likes to wait until the river to raise in situations like this because they're less likely to 3-bet then with a better hand and because if they just have complete air you can get one more bet out of them if they lead the river(someone correct me if I'm remembering this wrong). On a draw heavy board I prefer just 3-betting the turn though, because he could easily be bs-ing here with two hearts or 8-10 or whatever, and won't call the river raise.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:34 PM

I'd 3bet because I want to be able to 3bet A-high sometimes on that turn against that player too.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know natethegreat made the point somewhere that sometimes he likes to wait until the river to raise in situations like this because they're less likely to 3-bet then with a better hand and because if they just have complete air you can get one more bet out of them if they lead the river(someone correct me if I'm remembering this wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're pretty much right there, this cat was one of those I can check raise and fold to a three bet type of guys. Yeah the borad turned draw heavy, but his line seemed more consistant with a 9 or med PP hoping I'm on overs. So I figured take the risk and get some more $$ out of him on the river when he is on air or is way behind that he may fold the turn fearing that overpair when I three bet.

Kinda close though. Thats why I put it to the jury.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3bet because I want to be able to 3bet A-high sometimes on that turn against that player too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very Valid Point. I do mix these plays up pretty well though. If I had something Like JJ or QQ I would have three bet for sure, with the draws out there and potential overcards coming, but here, I wasnt worried about overs, and felt sure he was overplaying some sort of nine, or representing a six.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 PM

Fair enough. I don't object to doing it in this specific spot, but IMO smoothcalling these kinds of raises in order to raise the river is overrated and overdone. It makes it much cheaper to semi-bluff at you on the turn if the other guy is smart enough to not always make follow-through bets on the river.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't object to doing it in this specific spot, but IMO smoothcalling these kinds of raises in order to raise the river is overrated and overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I dont do it all the time, this just seemed like the perfect spot to do it against this particular opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
It makes it much cheaper to semi-bluff at you on the turn if the other guy is smart enough to not always make follow-through bets on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the definite down side to making that play, dont charge the draw and pay off when it hits, and also not make a penny more when he misses when he doesnt follow through.
Thanks for your time.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I don't object to doing it in this specific spot, but IMO smoothcalling these kinds of raises in order to raise the river is overrated and overdone. It makes it much cheaper to semi-bluff at you on the turn if the other guy is smart enough to not always make follow-through bets on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also means they can't play perfect if you always call A high and 3 bet an overpair there.