Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Bunky\'s hand of the day. 33 in the BB against a TAG pro.

This hand was at my 5-10 6 max table from 2 nights ago. I couldn't find a good hand from last night that wasn't totally effing standard, (I think this one is kinda standard) but this one is against a professional TAG.

PRO is on my left (exactly where I want him) and the rest of the table is actually god awful, but the unthinkable happens.

UTG (PRO) raises, all fold to Bunky in the BB with 33.
So, I call.

Flop JJ3.

Now, heres the thing. Hes tight, and he's selectively aggressive. I'm not sure of his read on me, but he's gotta see Ive been being aggressive and probably on the loose side, but for the most part he's been behaving and folding after I raise, he floated once to one of my raises, but has yet to iso reraise me. I also know that he will fire with a big ace on the flop and turn and will likely give up from there, the only way I get any serious $$ out of him is if he actually holds a Jack. I'll get some if he holds AA-77.

So, that being the plan I decide to wait until the turn, again.

Flop JJ3 (suits unimportant)
I check, he bets, I call.

Turn X
I chekc, he bets, I checkraise, he thinks and three bets, I cap, he calls.

(Trapped)

River X
I bet, he thinks and raises again, I three bet, he calls.

Comments?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Bunky\'s hand of the day. 33 in the BB against a TAG pro.

nh

I think you got the most out of him with a turn C/R if he had nothing or a monster.

I guess if he had AA-QQ,TT it might be better to donkbet the turn because he'll raise your donktastic bet and you can 3-bet (but this might make him fold.)

Basically, I play it the same way and laugh at AJ.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM

Unless your read is very strong that he will bet the turn, I don't like a plan that makes me check to him. Your flop call is pretty scary on that board and could lead him to check behind with lots of mediocre hands.

For that reason I would fastplay this one, checkraising the flop and hoping get some action from PP's and maybe be called down by A-high. If he has a big J you will be making plenty of money no matter how you play it.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:49 PM

i also like a fastplay here. maybe this is too simplistic but, he either has a hand or he doesnt. which means either you take him for a lot of bets or you don't.

flop checkraise is my preferred line.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless your read is very strong that he will bet the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

He will follow through on the turn HU like 90% of the time at least. I've shown him no aggression.

[ QUOTE ]
For that reason I would fastplay this one, checkraising the flop and hoping get some action from PP's and maybe be called down by A-high. If he has a big J you will be making plenty of money no matter how you play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with this is, he has to be pretty darn sure that I'm not checkraising with air here. I have been know to "float" on hands like this and C/R the turn light if I think I can get overs to fold. PP call me down almost every time. But I do get an extra bet out of his overs if I checkraise the turn, he may once in a blue moon call down with AK, but even though he may have me down as LAGGY, i'm quite sure he doesn't have me labeled as a donk.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also like a fastplay here. maybe this is too simplistic but, he either has a hand or he doesnt. which means either you take him for a lot of bets or you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, can we agree he has no part of this board most of the time?

If he has air, I get 1 more BB at least if I c/r the turn, If he has overs, he will probably call the flop C/r and fold to the turn bet, unless I go for the double checkraise? Now that would be bitchin.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I play it the same way and laugh at AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Har de har har har. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What the heck else is he supposed to do against a LAG? I mean where can he slowdown? I'd go nuts there with QJ or KJ as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, can we agree he has no part of this board most of the time?

If he has air, I get 1 more BB at least if I c/r the turn, If he has overs, he will probably call the flop C/r and fold to the turn bet, unless I go for the double checkraise? Now that would be bitchin.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have such a lag image I can easily see him calling you down with a big A after a flop checkraise.

It's also hard for me to believe that he'll really bet this turn with AK-AT and PP's 90% of the time. I for one would be checking behind with a good portion of those. Like I said your flop call is pretty damn scary.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:54 PM

Also I think you probably get an extra SB out of fastplaying when against AJ. You'd checkraise, he'd call and raise the turn. When it gets to the river I assume he'd still raise like he did in the real hand, considering a fastplay would look weaker than a turn c/r. Partly depends on whether you'd try to bet/3-bet the river or c/r.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said your flop call is pretty damn scary.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone's ever scared by my calls.