Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Post flop profit maximization. (Flush draw comes through)

Hey gang, all streets standard until the river who like this play. Anything anyone does different?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Bunky is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Bunky calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Bunky checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Bunky calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Bunky bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

River: (13 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Bunky checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Bunky raises</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Thoughts , comments?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:33 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Post flop profit maximization. (Flush draw comes through)

I would want especially bad players or an especially loose raiser to make the call preflop. I would definitely lead at the flop and call a raise. I like the turn bet. the river c/r is interesting. CO seems like the most likely candidate to have a Q. I'd hate to shut out the field by check-raising him.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:43 AM

Actually MP was a real Lag, I figured he'd bet the river. If the CO bet, I'd have to just call and go for the overcalls.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:48 AM

I lead out the flop. Hard to say how action would have gone if you had lead the flop.

That said...I kinda sorta like the turn bet because of the line you had planned for the river, but I'm not sure you can plan on getting a C/R in on the river. The Q falling may have facilitated a C/R for you. Would you have lead out if a Q hadn't fallen?

Any read on if MP will stop and go? If so, I think the turn is an obvious C/R here. If not, I'm not so sure what to do on the turn. I'd probably C/R out of habit and lead the river. I know its transparent what you have, but I think it would be the most profitable line in the long run (again, assuming that the Q falling is the reason that MP bet the river).

edit: ignore, I didn't see your read in the other post. Well played if you can be that confident that MP will LAG it up and bet this river.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:50 AM

Standard? Why wouldn't you lead the flop, hoping to trap BB and UTG? You were lucky that MP/CO pumped the flop and UTG tagged along, but this will not happen very often, and allowing CO's protection raise (or raising yourself) is inferior to betting out when the raise folds UTG and BB, as it often will.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 AM

dont like the river checkraise. i think alot of players with decent pairs will be scared of someone having trip queens. also, you may very well find that the co has trip queens and will raise you.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead out the flop. Hard to say how action would have gone if you had lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody likes leading the flop here? Not me, 2 unders and a flush draw, gutshot straight flush draw but gutshot str8 to the idiot end, no thanks, check/call looks quite good there.

[ QUOTE ]
That said...I kinda sorta like the turn bet because of the line you had planned for the river,

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I didn't plan that for the river, I planned on betting the blank river. When the Queen popped up it was a real nice opportunity to get multple bets (and at least one from the LAG)

[ QUOTE ]
I think the turn is an obvious C/R here

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, turn is an obvious bet into that big of a field. I want callers there, let them pay to draw to a heart or something else.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:09 AM

I would definitely lead at the flop and call a raise

Why would you want MP to shut everyone out on your draw? Define a semibluff for me please, you are fogeting something. That flop texture begs a raise.

Bunk's line is perfect, river flawless.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 04-25-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard? Why wouldn't you lead the flop, hoping to trap BB and UTG? You were lucky that MP/CO pumped the flop and UTG tagged along, but this will not happen very often, and allowing CO's protection raise (or raising yourself) is inferior to betting out when the raise folds UTG and BB, as it often will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you're joking
Old 04-25-2005, 01:11 AM

Bet the flop, look at your position compared to the preflop raiser.

I dont like the FPS on the river, board pairs and you are trying to drive everyone out with a checkraise? Just bet out and hope a Queen raises you so you can call.