Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 AM

Default JJ capping the river with like 13th nut hand? WTF?

I had this hand happen last night in a juicy 15-30 game. Villain in the hand is bad, I mean like .50/1.00 bad, calling raises with 82s, raising with 23o you get it.

His stats are 63/24/1.0 He went on a heater early and was up over 1200 and is crashing back down. Pretty much every street is up for debate. I chatted this hand up with Steve G, I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm certifiable now.

Anyway, Give it to me.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Bunky is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Bunky raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.66 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Bunky bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (7.83 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Bunky bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Bunky calls.

River: (11.83 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Bunky checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Bunky raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Bunky caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 19.83 BB

I know I posted a hand similar to this the other day with an insane river cap, apparnetly I don't learn my lessons well.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: JJ capping the river with like 13th nut hand? WTF?

I don't really see how each street can be up for debate, as the first 3 are very standard. I think you really effed up the river here. I'd bet and call a raise, I don't see any reason to go further than that as you can really only hope to be chopping; even the real fucktards can usually read a board like this.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 AM

First three streets are fine, but I like betting and calling a raise here on the river.

What was your thinking on the river line? Given the 3 to a flush and a completed straight board, I'd imagine you'd think he'd bet a wide range of hands here when the river brings a board straight...even though no one is folding for 1 bet.

OK, so fine, you are confident he'll bet about anything here but is he going to call a CR? If he is likely to bet and call a raise (which he will with the straight board), but what is he going to 3-bet with here? I think if you are going to CR, you have to think ahead before checking the river to what you plan on doing if he 3-bets and what his 3-bet could mean on this board.

I hate capping...you are beat by a wide range of hands that would be played this way and splitting with any J. If the guy is that much of a monkey to 3-bet with a hand that you have beat, I'll give you $20 for his nickname! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I tend to be a bit agg on the river myself, but I'm usually getting blind sides by some unlikely hand. Here there are too many likely hands to ignore, I like betting and calling a raise much more than any other line. Furthermore, even the worst of players will see the straight and not be creative enough to bet it KNOWING anyone will at least call. But I have seen some LAG monkeys go wild on a rivered board straight trying to get the other player (or some players) to fold to increase the equity of the split. How often is this the case with this player when playing for a pot HU?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy is that much of a monkey to 3-bet with a hand that you have beat, I'll give you $20 for his nickname!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a dollar less than $50.00.

I know I went nuts, I know it and still did it anyway. This guy was such a donk though.

[ QUOTE ]
Here there are too many likely hands to ignore, I like betting and calling a raise much more than any other line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
But I have seen some LAG monkeys go wild on a rivered board straight trying to get the other player (or some players) to fold to increase the equity of the split. How often is this the case with this player when playing for a pot HU?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this guy? Who the heck knows. Lets put it this way, against any half way sane individual, I bet and call a raise.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Aren't donks notorious for playing suited trash?

After he raises when the flush gets there, I would say his most likely hand is a flush. I hate the river cap, check/call or bet/call is correct.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After he raises when the flush gets there, I would say his most likely hand is a flush. I hate the river cap, check/call or bet/call is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its possible, or he could have a 5 or T which is just as likely if not more likely. He was a superdonk though. Still doesn't make the cap right.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and is crashing back down

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (7.83 BB) 6 (3 players)
Bunky bets, UTG+1 raises, CO folds, Bunky calls.

River: (11.83 BB) T

[/ QUOTE ]

= TILT

i see this type of crap at 1/2 6 max all the time. river cards useless-ising the villain's made turn hand and then they proceed to rip apart their bankrolls on the river. against any normal person the cap is useless but against this guy. if you had a read on him that his stack was crashing down and he was in an easily breakable state (mentally) where he would spew, i would spew with him.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and is crashing back down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+

Quote:

Turn: (7.83 BB) 6 (3 players)
Bunky bets, UTG+1 raises, CO folds, Bunky calls.

River: (11.83 BB) T

= TILT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep probably had a lot to do with it. he was invincible earlier on wen His cold call and UTG raise with 82s got there runner runner style on the river. He thought he was invincible, until he started spewing back. One oither hand kinda led me into this line though.

He called a PF raise from the BB with A4o. Cold called two bets on the flop of AJ3. Turn was an 8. He called my bet again, on the river J, He checkraised me (on a board of AJ38J) and when he got three bet he called only to see my AJ. This guy was out of his bloody mind, maybe he drove me to be nuts too. Against any sane opponent, I bet/call here.

This cat was different. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM

The cap is silly.