Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: 3/6(6-max): 88 overpair on flop

[ QUOTE ]
This may be weak, but I fold on the flop often. You're not going to be making a lot of money against worst hands (which hands are going to call that you have beat?) and you stand to lose a bunch if you go into call down mode.

Actually, the more I think about it, maybe I'm lying. It's so player dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be lying, josh... He is raising 20+% of his hands, this flop has missed most of them, (prolly raising more in LP, and maybe more to isolate UTG) so our hand is good a big % of the time. After his pot bet, there is 160+$ out there, or 20+ BBs. Raising is better then folding, imo.

I would imagine you're reraising bigger PPs vs such a LAG so is it safe to say then you'd only play on with set, two pair, or pair + gut? If so, you're feeding right into his strategy, as most of the time you wont break him at all if you play on, whereas he'll pick up the pot a rediculous amount of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I do anything I'm just calling here and seeing what he does on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this. It doesnt mean I'm folding to a second barrell though. Alot depends on the turn card as well. I'm not concerned about UTG, either, as he probably opens the pot with a bigger pair, so only draw he could peel would be gutshot or random straight draw type stuff... So if he plays on, we found out for the minimum we were behind (not pfr, but original limper)

Cost of protecting this pot (vs most likely ~6outs, esp. when we have a hunch on the worst scare card... an ace) isn't worth expending an additional 80 to make him fold the 6 outer. If UTG wakes up w/ a hand you lose more, and you still allow PFR to push you off your hand. (or in the rarity he DOES have a draw, like if he's raising 78 or whatnot, he will and should peel correctly)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what raising the flop hard does either. Are you trying to get him to fold a better hand or call with a worse one? I don't think either is happening. Sure you get to protect your hand against high cards sometimes, but I don't think building up that pot is the right way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I bet this turn for a few reasons. (This might be bad advice and I'm ok with getting flamed for it). First, if villain was trying to peel with overs, you take it away now. Well, hold on, I think I'm doubling back on myself again. An overpair would definitely love to CR this turn. And you did pick up a bunch of outs if you are behind. Yeah, I check behind here, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the turn is interesting. If I bet, I'm pushing. I most likely check, too. But I'm not convinced: a. his flop call means i'm toasted and b. if he knows we minraise monsters, a push enforces that. we have lots of equity in this spot, and hiting a 4str8 probably (although it could) wont get paid off.
[ QUOTE ]

Umm, anything else... yeah, river is a fold.

This post was kind of worthless, haha. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your post was good. River I think I'd fold, you may be good about 25% though, so it's pretty marginal.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:59 PM

flop raise is for a couple reasons. one is that if you dont raise him often, its hard to get paid later. two is that if you dont raise him often, he will continue bet often. three is that your hand is probably good, but it will be expensive if you jsut decide to call down, because a lot of turns suck (what if this guy has 78?).
Old 12-24-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop raise is for a couple reasons. one is that if you dont raise him often, its hard to get paid later. two is that if you dont raise him often, he will continue bet often. three is that your hand is probably good, but it will be expensive if you jsut decide to call down, because a lot of turns suck (what if this guy has 78?).

[/ QUOTE ]

problem with a raise is normally if he calls or pushes I assume you fold? But then you've expended half your stack to "find where you are" and protect vs an unlikely (albeit possible) draw out.

I cant see him folding a better hand, either, so maybe he'll go broke with tptk or so, thin value in a raise.

Ideally, a flop raise is better w/ JT, A8, KK, 56, etc.

Normally, with stack sizes as related to potential pot size, (pf to flop) a general philosophy should be that a flop raise typically enables a big pot. As in, each person is typically 1+ big bet to being all in, (think pot raise pf,call, ~8+ in pot, pot/repot, 8->24, and suddenly each person has about pot = stack, or roughly... even if you dont pot, it works out that you rarely have enough to make a comfortable bet/fold w/ 2 streets to go) what this means is a flopraise should be either strong or weak. middle relative strength hands,(like 7x or 88 on this flop) its ok to raise if when called you canexpect to check it down, but against lags this normally isn't thecase.

So, if you feel your hand isgood enough, (like vs a maniac0 you want to be all in, by all means raise the flop. or, if you know you're beaten and a flop raise would show profit with most holdings, (huge nit, I guess) then it's ok for another reason.

But to me, neither fits the case,so I'd rather calland make mydecision w/ 1 streetto go, rather then creating a pot where my pot odds will force my hand.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 PM

put all your chips in on the turn
Old 12-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Villain in this hand was horryclutch, a regular on Pocketfives. He was gracious enough to show me a set of 6's.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like calling these flops

[/ QUOTE ]

damn bobbo, your station tendencies must be rubbing off on me, cause that's what I'd want to do here
Old 12-25-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like calling these flops

[/ QUOTE ]

damn bobbo, your station tendencies must be rubbing off on me, cause that's what I'd want to do here

[/ QUOTE ]

wooooooo

o/t but you need to be on aim more [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 02:49 AM

This is a terrible idea.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:58 AM

I think a flat call on the flop is the way to go with this hand. With your reraise preflop (which I dont really think is the greatest idea), villain knows you have some kind of a hand. He is not leading out here with nothing (ie: high cards). Thus he either:

1.) has a set and is betting into you, thinking you have a big pair and hoping you'll reraise him right there
2.) has a pair, over or on the board, and is trying to figure out if you have high cards

i think flat calling here saves you money when behind and doesnt really risk giving a free card that can hurt you if you're ahead, since it's likely villain isn't in there betting with overcards. you have position, see what card comes on the turn and how villain acts. make your decision there.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:06 AM

i dunno, i think one of the problems with calling this flop is that because you know it hasn't connected very well with villains range, and because he knows it, i think hes checking the turn often with a hand (or at least this has been my experience). are you checking the turn and calling the river?