Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Default A couple of river folds, live 20/40

These hands were played over a 11 hour session, and at different tables, so I don't think I have a big river-folding image because they were played so far apart.

Hand 1:

Button is a middle aged asian dude, seems to be semi aggressive.

3 limpers, sb completes, I raise 99 in the bb. Flop is A93 with 2 clubs.

I bet, button calls, sb calls.

Turn is offsuit Q. I bet, button raises, sb folds, I 3 bet, button calls.

River is K clubs. I bet, button raises, I fold.

Hand 2:

Laggy mp raises, i 3 bet 55 on button. Flop is J62 rainbow. He c-r the flop, I call. Turn is a 6, he bets, i raise. he thinks for a fairly long time, and calls.
River is a 2. He bets, I fold.

Hand 3:

5 handed or so. I raise AT clubs, sb calls. SB is erratic, I saw her play a draw very fast, but several times I saw her play top pair very passively.

Flop is 655 with 2 diamonds. She c-r the flop, I call. Turn is offsuit A. She follows through with a bet without pause. I raise, she calls quickly.

River is offsuit 4. She bets, I fold.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: A couple of river folds, live 20/40

Hand 1: dude, you gotta call here.
Hand 2: why are you raising the turn?
Hand 3: Why are you raising the turn?

2+3 - there is an article in the magazine about "raising for info", it makes a good read. This is a play that I see a lot. A low PP will check raise a 2/3 over board on the turn, and I'm thinking "WTF? Yeah, buddy I still have a hand." So instead of paying off 2.5BBs, he pays off 3.5. And what does he gain? Sometimes I fold a 6 outer (12%er) on the turn. Just not worth it. Same on the AT hand. You're trying to induce a fold from a 5 outer? that doesn't make sense to me. call the turn and bet the river if checked to.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 1:

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont like it, think you should pay him off... you are HU on the river and the pot is really big now and you said he aggresive and asian... he may have two pair.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2:

Laggy mp raises, i 3 bet 55 on button. Flop is J62 rainbow. He c-r the flop, I call. Turn is a 6, he bets, i raise. he thinks for a fairly long time, and calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
PF is a fold. 55 is too small...
if you think he opens light, threebet AT.
dont like the turn raise v much, i dont really see the point you should prob fold the flop case it seems like hes gonna have a J here.
the river is another payoff because the board double paired... ppl do stupid sh.t all the w/ Ahigh when the board double pairs. look him up and hope he has wierd Ahigh hand. looks possible.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3:

5 handed or so. I raise AT clubs, sb calls. SB is erratic, I saw her play a draw very fast, but several times I saw her play top pair very passively.

Flop is 655 with 2 diamonds. She c-r the flop, I call. Turn is offsuit A. She follows through with a bet without pause. I raise, she calls quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
this hand looks fine, but i think paying off the river wouldnt be too bad.

i think you might be outplaying yourself in these situations... when you are HU and have made it to the river, you shouldnt be folding good hands too often.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 AM

hand 3 is a problem. fold the flop when she c/rs you.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 3 is a problem. fold the flop when she c/rs you.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 and 3 folding the flop is definately a better line than you took. Not that you can do that every time, but 75% of time you should be folding on the flop to this chk.rz I think.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is offsuit A. She follows through with a bet without pause.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has become one of the most reliable live poker tells for me lately. If they don't at least stop and think about whether the ace is bad or good for them, then they're probably way, way ahead. Usually I'd fold, but since she plays erratically, you probably have to call down. But, either way, the raise has to be bad.

As an aside, I don't really like the way you played any of these hands.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:41 AM

When a player continues betting through the turn without pause, my impression is that they are thinking "I want to win this pot so I don't want to show weakness."

I think it's more of a semibluff tell than a monster tell.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:38 AM

Hand 1 - I'm not really seeing what hand could be raising me on the river so that I'm good 14:1. Then again since I don't know the guy I shouldn't apply my logic to his play. Ok.

Hand 2. I don't think I butchered this one too badly. Folding the flop is standard but I thought the possibility that he either has a deuce, has air, or will fold a medium pp or 6 made me decide to continue on. I believe my image in live play is that I'm not much of a bluffer, so I don't think it's unreasonable.

Hand 3
This hand sucks, and while at the time I thought she must've had 87, the more i think about it the more likely i think she had a 5. The turn raise was for value - she's the type of player for whom bet folding on the same street isn't really a possibility.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These hands were played over a 11 hour session, and at different tables, so I don't think I have a big river-folding image because they were played so far apart.

Hand 1:

Hand 2:

Hand 3:

[/ QUOTE ]

If only my opponents on PP would make these river folds.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:47 AM

Hand 1: There's no way I'd fold on the river. The pot is huge, and you don't want some guy with 33 or two pair taking it down. Also, I wouldn't have raised preflop.

Hand 2: When you say MP is "laggy," do you really mean semi-maniacal? If not, my 55 would be hitting the muck preflop. You really want a guy who raises with complete crap and then gives you action postflop before you start 3-betting with 55.

Hand 3: I'm OK with everything up to the river where you have a very easy call.