Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Calling down the fish

Villian is just a bad, loose fish but I only have nines. Should I be calling or folding somewhere?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB folds, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 11-08-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Calling down the fish

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is just a bad, loose fish but I only have nines. Should I be calling or folding somewhere?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB folds, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8 BB

[/ QUOTE ]if this is the usual passive fish, then yes you can find a fold somewhere easy. but if you say hes loose bad but and overly aggressive(so hes not the normal fish) then 3 bet pf.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:56 AM

Looks, good. Folding would be very bad on flop or turn. The river isn't the best card you could hope for, but the pot is big enough to call.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:00 AM

I think you can raise this preflop. and bet until the river, check calling it unless a diamond comes.

crappy hand
Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 AM

Yes this guy will keep betting with nothing once he has started. I figure if I show aggression and he does have nothing he just folds. So I end up in these call down modes hoping I am ahead and he never improves.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:17 AM

This hand is yucky.

If you're calling down at least CR flop/bet turn and give yourself a chance to do something and fold vs more resistance.

edit - i assumed he was loose passive or weak, also this doesn't mean i actually like this line vs specified opponent, i just think it's better than investing 2.5 BBs in calling down, at least with cr + bet you can fold better hands for 2 bb and easily get out vs more action. vs lag i think you just call down if you're determined to see showdown, donk betting anywhere is bad mojo.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:40 AM

He had KJo and mhig. Now that you know he is willing to play something like that this way does my play look better? Or should I be raising him out somewhere anyhow?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 AM

calling down is standard vs bad lag, the fact that the ace paired makes your hand look even better

i hate putting any bets in here out of position, you're just asking to get outplayed or putting 3 bb to see showdown vs a better hand so i give him a "cheaper" shot at hitting his draw or 6 outer and live with it and i really really really don't want to be cring the turn here if he is going to bet missed overs or flush draw any decent % of the time on the river. if you know he is a lag i like the suggestion of 3-betting preflop also, i'd probably start calling around the 55/66 mark.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:50 AM

Yeah I think 3 betting pf and then leading out on the flop is better than cr the flop. I just know he is also capable of 3 betting the flop and then wtf do I do with my nines? They hit the muck and I just threw away the best hand to a lag. If they don't hit the muck and instead I go into call down then I probably should have taken the cheaper call down mode like I did in the actual hand.

OP vs LAG = sucks big time
Old 11-08-2005, 03:53 AM

If he's bad, I like it, if he's decent, I can find a turn fold here.