Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-03-2004, 01:14 AM

Default party $200+$15 NL holdem

played 12 of these to break up the boredom of my bread and butter game in the last month or so - i usually play 2-3 in one hit, joining a new table as soon as i can - i am used to 3 or 4 tabling 6 max holdem games so the speed of the games isnt too much of an issue for me even when it gets 3 way and heads up

i checked my results on pokertracker and discovered i had gone 3 3 1 5 - wow - i know thats not sustainable but i did notice playing the games that typically there were 3-4 guys out before the first 30 hands or so had been completed - it wasnt until the games got down to 4-5 way that the standard seemed to improve - in short there was enough dumb money entering these games that it is hard for me to imagine that a decent profit couldnt be made

as a single table tourney newbie how many of these do you guys reckon i can play at once assuming i'm ok at multi tabling ? - what do you reckon the long term 1st/2nd/3rd/nowhere ratio would be for a good winning player in this game ? - what does a bad streak look like ?

if i'm being lazy by not searching this forum more for the answers please advise or direct me to the posts

cheers

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 05-03-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Re: party $200+$15 NL holdem

I am surely not an expert as I haven't done so well at this level. However, these tournaments aren't as easy as you make them sound. I am a winning player at the 50's and I skipped the 100's and went straight to the 200's last week and didn't do so hot. If you continue to be a winning player at this level, in answer to your question around a losing streak, I would guess you could go up to 10 tournaments without a place, but in the long run you will be okay. I dropped back to the 50's for awhile until my bank gets back to 10k where I feel more comfortable. My record at the 200's:

26 tournaments
2 firsts
2 seconds
1 third

for a loss of $1775. Good luck to you.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:33 AM

I just started playing these as well - albeit at the 20 and 30 lavels. My sense from reading the forum here is that a very good player can finish in the money ~40% of the time, with a return on investment of around 40%. Look for a post from pitcher who I think recently posted results from 50 or 60 of the 200 level tournaments.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:24 AM

Your sample size is way too small to make any conclusions about your win rate at this level. However, from my own sample size (65 games) I can assure you that the games are much tougher to beat then the $100. I earned a pathetic 13% ROI on this level, and now stick to the $100 and $50 tables.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:35 PM

I have a better sample size here.

Since February 1 (I played mostly $50+5 SNGs before then)
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
All the following are Party NLHE 10-player SNGs:

1st 2nd 3rd Total ROI
$100+9 34 13 17 140 59%
$200+15 13 8 12 96 9%
</pre><hr />
This is still not enough tournaments to be statistically significant by a chi-square test of independence (even at p &gt; .1) but the results are striking. Anybody else have any largish samples they can post?