Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Default So I need to accept this job offer this week....

And I really don't know what to do.

I had it all figured out, I wasn't going to accept it and take a year off to play poker and travel. Until I told my parents over thanksgiving break. They pretty much thought it was a huge mistake.

The months before, I had been giving it a good deal of thought and came to the conclusion that taking a year off would be a great chance to capitalize on poker and enjoy life before entering the real world. I know I could make more playing poker, but that's not the issue. I know I wouldn't be as happy, in the short run anyway, working this job as I would if I were to take a year off. I know I don't want to play poker forever, but a year of the lifestyle would be great. The job in question is at a public accounting firm, and is a good offer. I worked there this summer and it was ok.

My parents believe that it would be a bad move based mostly on the idea that I may not be able to get as good of a job after a year of sitting on the shelf. My dad thinks it's a waste of time to "sit around clicking a mouse playing some game" as opposed to sitting aroud clicking a mouse to audit some company's financial statements that don't matter to me. I respect my parents opinion, and they have been right about most things in the past. Thus, my doubt.

I'm looking for whatever advice you've got to offer. I'm really stumped on this one. Also, you're not allowed to say "Do whatever you think is right." because I don't know.

Thanks.

Craig
Old 11-30-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: So I need to accept this job offer this week....

play poker for a year, work for the Man for the next 39. dad will be okay.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Do what makes you happy, not your parents.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play poker for a year, work for the Man for the next 39. dad will be okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM

Your parents are correct that sitting out for a year will harm your chances of getting a job next year, but, I don't think that is a major problem. Poker will still be viable 18 months from now, so you can finance your job search.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM

For god's sake do an EV/EU analysis. If you're not better at that than your dad, maybe poker's not such a great idea anyway.

If you have a personal relationship with someone at the company, it would probably be a good idea to ask them for advice as well. You don't even have to bring up poker.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM

You only live once. Do what you want to with your life and make the most of it. Playing poker and traveling for a set period of time sounds like a great learning experience for life. Starting out accounting when you know you have better/ more stimulating options seems like a formula for future regret. Besides a hole in your resume is much better in the beginning of your career than later when you've been accounting for a few years and then decide you made a huge mistake in not travelling. It's a heck of a lot easier to explain to an interviewer that you traveled the world to prepare yourself for your career than it is to explain dropping your career a couple years in to travel and play poker. Very few interviewers want to hear how successful you poker career was.

Your parents sounds ignorant to the way poker income works. Most parents will counsel their children to take the safe route and will certainly never encourage a lifestyle predicated on making income "gambling." I'd try hard to explain to them your system and how you make money gambling and your shortterm EV one more time and then be damn sure to travel and NEVER ask them for money.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Don't be a puss.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:41 PM

If you take the job, you'll spend a lot of years wondering if you made the right decision. No matter how successful you might become. In the back of your mind that ? will always be there.

I kicked the corporate shackles. It took almost 14 yrs with 2 corps before I did it. Started a business. Did well. Went bust. Lost everything. No regrets. Well, almost none. But I'll always know the answer to the question that was there all those years. Could I do it on my own?

I say give it a year. You're way too young to think your decision about a job today is going to determine your future job prospects. If you don't make it pro, or decide you don't like the life, you can always put down that year on your job apps as "sabbatical time." Tell 'em you're working on your doctorate.

g/l
Old 11-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Fine my posts on this subject. I just quit my job today. I worked at an investment bank for 2 months and change right out of college. I hated every minute of it. I felt like i was gonna die. After quiting, this has turned into the best freakin day of my life. I've never been happier.

If I could go back I never would have started work. It is much worse looking on your resume to have quit after a few months then to have never taken the job.