Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Button AQo vs a raiser

I would push all-in because:

a) Calling entices the SB/BB to play as well. With these shallow stacks its very difficult to play postflop, at least for me. One bad beat and you cant fold top pair hand types anymore, which sucks.

b) Reraising small only leads to autguess yourself. If he pushes he probably has you beat and you can fold, or not? If he pushes the flop, was it a stop-n-go to extract value or a pocket pair or weaker ace trying to get tricky? For me this is very difficult to see.

c) Pushing all-in is very effective when done for the first time, he might fold hands like small pocket pairs.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:05 PM

You have a strong hand and position against a minraise. I don't see a fold here at all. I call and play position. I think if you don't play stuff like this you could get blinded out a lot.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 PM

I don't like the fold, the min raise from the CO is typically a sign of weakness or extreme strength.

I push here almost 100% of the time and shrug it off when they show down AA.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah - a non all-in raise doesn't leave me with enough to work with postflop.

Calling entices the blinds to play, so I'm not in love with that one.

Fold is a fold.

I guess I like the all-in too. I hate to risk my whole stack on a hand like AQo, but I think in this situation I was probably either ahead or in coinflipsville *if* he called.

[/ QUOTE ]

The all in vs fold decision is based on your read and risk tolerance.

Like a poster down below says a min raise late is either weakness or a monster.

But be very careful of a larger raise, like 300 or 350. Basically what the player is 'telling' the table that he is playing for all of his chips there if someone comes over the top. Hands like JJ or QQ likely here.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:48 PM

I would go allin. Of course it's never pleasant to move allin with a healthy stack to win something that doesn't seem so signifigant. However your hand is just too powerful here. Calling for 1/6th of your stack is incredibly weak and I hate it. I don't think this is at all a close decision btw. You will be called rarely, and when you are, you will sometimes be either a coin flip or ahead. Folding/Calling is too weak tight.