Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: why sirius wont make it

I personally hated the idea of sirius and XM for years, figuring the only market would be truck drivers and those who spend hours a day in their car.
But, now realizing the proprietary content, I think it may work eventually for XMSR or SIRI, or maybe itll be someone else. Plus, while I live in NYC, I realize there are many people in this country who probably only have 6 radio stations, or perhaps even less, and this would certainly appeal to them. Hell, just this past week the one of the final areas in the US got telephone land lines installed
[ QUOTE ]
NEW ORLEANS Mink, Louisiana, has entered a new era of communications -- it now has telephones.

The rural settlement had been one of the last places in the nation without phone service. That all changed Monday when they were finally hooked up. Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco placed a ceremonial phone call to 83-year-old resident Alma Bolton.

BellSouth spent 700-thousand dollars -- about 47-thousand per phone -- to extend 30 miles of cable through thick forests to Mink, about 100 miles south of Shreveport.

Cell phones worked in Mink, but only in a few locations.

It didn't take resident Elaine Edwards long to find out that having a phone can be a mixed blessing. Fifteen minutes after hers was installed, a telemarketer called.

She told him she wasn't interested and hung up.

[/ QUOTE ]

So there are a lot of areas where this may not be a luxury, but almost a neccesity