Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: why sirius wont make it

Come on Ray, you know better! Broadcast isn't around because it's free because it isn't free! There are tons of advertisers, how do you think stations survive? Essentially satellite radio is just a pay service without the commercials. Sounds good to me - and a lot of other people. I currently don't have satellite radio but only because I don't commute enough, if I did I would definitely have it. I listen to the radio stations on my DirecTV quite a bit. If you want to listen to a random assortment from a specific genre there's nothing better.

As another poster said, though, the future is in combination iPods and satellite radios. I'm thinking sort of like an on-demand type service. Licensing is the real issue with this, but if it could be worked out it's the real future.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Funny you should mention this. My wife got me an IPod for christmas. Haven't used my car radio very much since, only when I forgot my IPod. It's crazy how much music you can put on one of those things.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Ray:

A few comments on your comments:

1. Before the death of either XM and Sirius - they will most likely merge.

2. Stern going to Sirus is like the NFL package going to DirectTV - if you want Stern you will pay to listen. I'll bet Stern moves at least 2 million listeners to Sirius. Stern will also sell advertising and add even more revenue.

3. In my opinion, the Ipod and other like tech will make the CD players obsolete before it destroys radio or sat radio.

4. Realizing that both XM and Sirius(even with Stern) are tremendously overvalued - people like you who live in remote areas have the most to gain by having greater "radio" options than were previously available in Montana.

Future Sirius customer in Dec 05.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:22 AM

Ray,

I agree that Sirus will not make it, but it is not about music, since free radio broadcasts just about represent the current demographics of the market. What Sirus will have to do is offer broadcasts that are unique, just like cable tv did. If Sirus can get a heavy line up of sports stations, and lets say make a deal to be the only one that broadcasts games that you are unable to get on free radio, they may have a chance. I look at the situation just like the cable tv vs. free broadcast situation. If they do not market themselves this way, they are doomed.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Merrill Lynch disagrees with Ray Zee [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 PM

that strengthens my position.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:27 PM

midas you are probably right that it will replace the cd player. i didnt really consider that. also i think having sirius is a good thing, but believe it cant stand up to a pay each month format. if they merge with something then it changes everything. also its value as it will likely be goobled up as its stock goes under. ultimately from satillets and towers we will get it all in one package. phone music radio tv etc. who will provide that package i dont have the foggyest notion. but i am sure it wont be sirius. more likely verizon or similar.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that strengthens my position

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not agree on SIRI in the S/T, but I like the way you think [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Sirus can get a heavy line up of sports stations, and lets say make a deal to be the only one that broadcasts games that you are unable to get on free radio, they may have a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
They have this.

[ QUOTE ]
I look at the situation just like the cable tv vs. free broadcast situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
So does the rest of the world.

[ QUOTE ]
If they do not market themselves this way, they are doomed.

[/ QUOTE ]
But they do [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM

I have Sirius and love it. Not only that, but most of my friends have Sirius or XM and love them too. I don't mind paying 10 or 12 a month (which is nothing compared to my cable, cell phone, etc.) for a service that offers commercial free and uncensored radio.

Also, I mostly listen to music and with all the stations they offer, I don't see why I would ever have to buy a CD or mp3 again.

Lastly, you couldn't buy a Sirius radio around here before Xmas. They were all sold out by the second week of December, and I believe they're still back ordered (over a month later) even if you order them directly from Sirius's website.

This company is here to stay.