Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Anyone still beating the Party $10+1?

I was doing really well in these before, following the advice on this forum, now I simply cannot sustain a win rate. I'm basically breaking even and its driving me nuts. Its nothing to do with my play though.

Every single one I play these days has 6+ players going into Level 4 and beyond. The last one I played had 6 players at level 8!!

This used to happen occasionally but now it seems the norm. It happens no matter what time of day I play at too.

Is anyone else seeing this or is it just some freak of luck that I'm constantly stuck at these tables?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Anyone still beating the Party $10+1?

You aren't the only one. The typical 10+1er has really tightend up lately. Now, you have to outplay them instead of just being tight.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:05 AM

I haven't played them or seen my GF play them lately but if this is true (may or may not be true) and long term I would guess the Steps are sucking the really big fish out.

FWIW the 50's are softer than they've ever been.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:14 AM

I've been 8-tabling $10 and $20 SNGs after cashing out my Empire roll and my only observation thus far is, "how can a 50% ROI not be sustainable in these?". The bubble play is comically inept. I see players regularly folding their blinds (200/400) to short stacks (say, T650) or bluffing into dry pots when a short stack is all-in with four players left. They're all too willing to let me steal my way from short stack to first place without bothering to call me, and whenever I AM called, it's by some ridiculous hand like Q7s or JTo.

They're tighter, sure, but they're as easy (easier?) as ever.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 AM

I'm still winning, but it takes a lot more effort. Yesterday I had two in a row go all the way to Level 12. Occasionally I'll run into a quick easy one, but I don't count on that anymore.

I think Stars is easier at this level now. Used to be the other way around for me.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 AM

VanVeen:

Well, no offense but I played you the other night and your play was terrible. You were pushing all-in first in in the first and 2nd level.. to win what, 30 and 35 chips? You busted out when your AKo was called by KQ and you got outdrawn.

Is that some sort of tactic of yours? Go all-in with a top-hand and hope to get called by a poor player with a lesser hand and then hope to double-up?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 AM

8 tabing?

PP only lets me open at most 4 tables at any one time. Please share your wonderful secret to bypassing this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Yeah, I absolutely hate being called by hands I dominate.

Why I'm pushing all-in there should be obvious: worse/dominated hands call often enough (ALL THE TIME) that the play has positive expectation, especially when one considers how easy it is to make the money after doubling early, i.e. I like having a big stack.

My putative 'terrible play' has me at a ~55% ROI after 250 SNGs in two days. Thank you for the critique!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 AM

I play on both Party and Empire at the same time.

Wow.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My putative 'terrible play' has me at a ~55% ROI after 250 SNGs in two days. Thank you for the critique!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you still in the $10 + $1's?

Step up and trim some games.

rJ