Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Really newbie-ish question...

I learned how to play Hold 'Em last July and I've only dabbled playing for money. I'll mostly just play with my friends for a pizza or something (so it's not all that competitive).

My question is about multi-tabling. I keep hearing people talk about playing 3 or 4 tables, but how does that work? Do people play on two or three different online sites to be able to get onto the different tables? Is multi-tabling worth it? I have a hard time focusing on one table! :P

I'm not going to be trying to multi-table anytime soon - I'm just curious about the mechanics. Did people start out multi-tabling? Or do people usually work just one table at a time before getting good enough to do two or three or four tables at once?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Really newbie-ish question...

I think most of us worked our way up. I played one table for about six months while learning the game and then added a second and played two tables at once for six more months. After that first year the jump to 3 or 4 was fairly easy, but I'm sure there are many people who have done it much more quickly. I know of several players who play 6-8 tables simultaneously.

J
Old 10-10-2004, 05:56 PM

Most sites support up to 3 or 4 tables, you just go back to the lobby and open up another table. Once you reach that limit you open up a second site and add on more tables, usually this requires a second monitor unless you like switching between windows a lot.

I got too bored playing one table, as most of the time is spent folding hands and after I get bored I tend to start playing looser and looser. With more tables it can keep me focused without going on tilt. Most people start out with 1 and work their way up as they feel comfortable.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:52 PM

I haven't started multi-tabling until I had about 5,000 hands under my belt, I suggest you first learn the game and concentrate on one table to get a feel of your opponents, then you might add a table, but don't jump from 1 table to 4 tables, 'cause you'll go mad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Definetly play one table for 5000, 10000 hands.

Find out if you are a winning player first. Besides would not want to lose money faster playing more tables right?