Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Anyone every try icewine?

Thoughts? Seems like the cheapest bottle is 40 bucks. Is it worth it? From what I can gather they basically pick the grapes when they are frozen. Seems like a scam......
Old 12-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Anyone every try icewine?

It's for dessert basically, because the frozen grapes have super high sugar content. If you like dessert wines, you'll like icewine. But yeah, it's expensive.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a scam......

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all things are not as they seem...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a scam......

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all things are not as they seem...

[/ QUOTE ]
...Or are they?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 AM

I have had icewine many times. Many wineries in the Niagara, Ontario region produce it. I believe the best icewines come from that region.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:39 AM

celiboy,

ICEWINE IS PEOPLE
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 AM

shouldn't you be playing blackjack?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:35 AM

They were writing articles about it in the regular press a few years ago. It's gotten very popular. And apparently it's extremely important that you pick the grapes at just the right time, excruciatingly so. So I guess that's where part of the expense comes from; it's harder to get just right.

Never had it myself.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had icewine many times. Many wineries in the Niagara, Ontario region produce it. I believe the best icewines come from that region.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to say that ontario ice wines aren't great but bc has produced many more award-winning ice wines than ontario in the last few years (basically all from the kelowna/okanagan region).

my personal favourite for this year's offerings is produced by Quail's Gate and is actually closer to mid range in pricing and therefore an excellent value for the spectacular quality. there are many other great ones i have sampled from the region as well.

...at Quail's Gate winery samples comes served in small chilled chocolate cups and is absolutely incredible. i highly recommend you get your hands on a bottle if even remotely tempted as you will not be dissapointed.

cheers,
sean
Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 AM

Quail's Gate - Reisling Icewine - 2000

ice wines of canada - general info

Serving Icewine
Icewine unopened and stored on it side in a cool (55-65 degrees F) place, away from vibrations and strong smells, can keep up to 25 years. The aging is also affected by the Growing Season, some years were better than others and therefore the wine will age differently.

If you have a specific year, we can advise you on how long you can store it for. Icewines as they age, darken in colour as well as increase in price! If you save it for a special occasion, you certainly will not be disappointed!

Once an Icewine is opened, you have 3-5 days to finish it up... but that is usually not a problem! Once a wine of any type is exposed to air, it begins to oxidize slowly and if left open too long, it tastes and smells bitter.

Icewines can be enjoyed in their youth or aged for many years. Icewines in their youth offer fresh fruit and are crisp and clean. Older Icewines tend to have a greater degree of depth, complexity and wide range of intense aromatics. As Icewines continue to age, the naturally concentrated acidity present lingers and follows through for a unique and harmonious balance.

Use discretion when pairing Icewines with food. Also, dishes or desserts that tend to be quite sweet may take away from the luscious experience and leave a cloying effect on your palate. Neutral desserts, such as pear tart, apple and peach based sauce desserts; strong cheeses and foie gras tend to create a harmonious balance.

...taken from the Inniskillin Winery page, which was excellent as well and usually rates very high each year (probably bigger and more well know for premiere icewines than Quail's Gate)....