Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Party 1/2 full ring vs 9 max

While whoring this latest Party bonus, it seems that there are a whole lot more 9-max tables at 1/2. The average pot seems to be bigger on the 9-max than the full ring games, and often the wait is shorter. Is there that much of a difference between the two strategy-wise?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Party 1/2 full ring vs 9 max

Maybe this is a better question for the small stakes forum? Any ideas in general about 9 max vs full ring?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 AM

Yeah this is a good question, I was also looking for some input on that. I stick to the 10max because when I move up to 2/4, it's only 10max there and I want to be used to that. Another reason is that I don't like shorthanded play and if one person sits out at 9max, that's already down to 8 people. These 2 reasons are possibly quite stupid and I have people telling me that I'm severely limiting my game selection by not playing 9max. Any thoughts?

And yeah, GO BLUE. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 12:57 AM

IMO it makes little if any difference adding 1 person.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:05 AM

There is no difference strategy-wise.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no difference strategy-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? If the average pots are bigger in 9max (which they appear to be), wouldn't one have to make the necessary adjustments for that?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:38 AM

If the pots are significantly bigger, it's not because of 9-handedness, it's because of opponent shitiness. I don't see how one less player will magically promote tons of action. I play on Full Tilt a lot, which only has 9max for full tables, and there isn't any strategy adjustment I make just for a 9-handed game.

You should play differently when pots are larger as opposed to smaller. But I would need to know what type of game it is (passive or aggressive) to give accurate advice on how to adjust strategy.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:31 AM

Is there that much of a difference between the two strategy-wise?
Yes.. play the 9 handed. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 11:11 AM

There is a difference even if it is subtle. In a 9-handed game you will only have 1 fewer opponent which affects hand distributions. When you have KK the chance of someone at the table holding AA is less because there are only 8 other hands in play rather than 9.

While it is true the difference is not major, it is still worth noting. If you say there is no difference between 9 and 10 handed play then is there a difference between 9 and 8 handed? play or 8 and 7 handed play? You see where I am going with this... if you commit yourself to the claim that one less player is no different then you commit yourself to the fact that 10 handed is the same as 6 handed, or even heads-up.

While on one level that might be true in a meta-game sense... you have to play good poker to win. The fact is that playing good poker requires you to adjust to table conditions including number of opponents.

-k_squared
Old 08-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Plaing some more 9-max last night, it seems that there are more maniacs (tasmanian devils), and worse players playing more aggressively. As long as the pots are bigger, I think I will try to play 9 max if the waits are shorter.
There are still plenty of horrible players there too.