Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Default So I have a comcast cable modem.........

....and it goes in and out at times. it'll be fine for a day or two, but then it just plain sucks. you can imagine how much it sucked when you're ITM for a MTT and cant really play any hands. does anyone know why it does this? our cable sucks to begin with, but never goes out, just our cable modem. does anyone have any thoughts or should i call Comcast and let them do something?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: So I have a comcast cable modem.........

[ QUOTE ]
....and it goes in and out at times. it'll be fine for a day or two, but then it just plain sucks. you can imagine how much it sucked when you're ITM for a MTT and cant really play any hands. does anyone know why it does this? our cable sucks to begin with, but never goes out, just our cable modem. does anyone have any thoughts or should i call Comcast and let them do something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Buy a new cable modem. They are $80. Motorola surfboards are nice. They currently have a $20 MIR on them @ Circuit City.

Plus, I'm not sure about Comcast but Insight charges $10/month to rent a cable modem.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:34 PM

doesn't sound like a cable modem problem, sounds like a line level problem. Furthermore, the modem is most likely leased, and you should be able to get a new one from them at no additional cost if the modem happened to be bad.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:19 PM

I had a Comcast cable modem for several years.
Assuming it is not a line level problem (which you should have checked), it may be due to your dynamic IP address timing out. The next time it happens, do an ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew. If you are using a router, you will need to login to the router and do it from there. If the modem is directly connected to your computer, use a DOS window.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Buy a new cable modem. They are $80. Motorola surfboards are nice. They currently have a $20 MIR on them @ Circuit City.

Plus, I'm not sure about Comcast but Insight charges $10/month to rent a cable modem.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not that. we've gone through that problem before
Old 07-28-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a Comcast cable modem for several years.
Assuming it is not a line level problem (which you should have checked), it may be due to your dynamic IP address timing out. The next time it happens, do an ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew. If you are using a router, you will need to login to the router and do it from there. If the modem is directly connected to your computer, use a DOS window.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. ummm. that made no sense to me. are there simpler terms u can put that in. i understand the IP address and stuff, but what do u mean in the solution?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:40 AM

Dynimically assigned IPs are "leased" from a DHCP server, the DHCP server in this case would be at the cable company.

If the lease expires and isn't renewed you can't get out on the IP.

I don't think this is your problem, but it's easy to test for.

go to start ~> Run and type "cmd" then ok
That will bring up a dos box

at the prompt type
ipconfig /all

this will show you your IP and other information, and when your lease was obtained and when it expires.

You'll see something like this:
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 28, 2005 2:42:27 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 31, 2005 2:42:27 AM

Leases can last a couple hours to a couple months, that all depends on how the DHCP server was setup, it's a configurable item.

A lease automatically tries to renew it's self once half the lease time has been used. So if the lease is good for 24 hours, at 12 hours it will try to renew it. You lease shouldn't ever run out, which is why I doubt this is an issue.

Ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
This will release the current DHCP lease and get a new one, if for some reason your DHCP isn't auto renewing (very rare), this will force it.

Next time you lose connection you can do an IPCONFIG /all to make sure your lease is still valid.

Again, I highly doubt your DHCP is the issue, I'd call comcast and have them run a level and packet loss test.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 PM

I would call them and explain that you are very unhappy with the service you are getting - threaten to leave, and they will ask you what they can do to make you happy - you say new cable modem.

Gojacketz
Old 07-31-2005, 03:06 AM

Yes, I would say the modem itself is at fault. That's assuming you have already called them and had them check your line.

I had the same problem. Comcast was more than happy to give me a new modem and actually comped my bill for the period where i was having connection drops. They then offered me a great deal on my next 3 months. Just let them know how much of a pain it has been with the connection going in and out, and they will probally take care of you.

If it's your modem or the line, they should be responsible for it.