Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Backup Facility For Windows XP Home Edition?

Windows XP Home has no built-in facility for backing up EVERYTHING, whereas XP Pro does. With XP Home, you have to separately install the backup tool off the Windows CD and then you can use it. It is like an "extra" program for XP Home.

Problem is, my Dell came with XP Home installed and no physical CD for Windows. My friend's Hewlett-Packard from Best Buy came the same way. So we don't have the backup tool nor do we have the disks to install it from.

How the heck are we supposed to back up our systems? I searched Microsoft site to see if there might be a downloadable version of this tool but couldn't find it (after LOTS of searching--still not sure if it might be hidden somewhere on their massive site or not).

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about System Restore, but rather about backing up the entire system physically in case of a hard disk crash or some other catastrophic event.

Any suggestions/solutions would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Backup Facility For Windows XP Home Edition?

If it's on the CD/DVD, how can it be an extra? If it's simply something they skipped installing then it seems to me the vendor owes you a copy of the program. You paid for a windows license so I can't see why you aren't entitled to what you paid for...

Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 12:00 AM

The backup facility is not installed with Windows XP Home; it has to be installed later from the disk as an "extra" or "tool" or whatever it is called. In other words, it and several other programs are on the disk as extras but not as part of the basic operating system.

My understanding is that if you were to go out and purchase a copy of XP Home, and install it on your machine, it would not automatically install these "extra" programs. They reside separately on the disk and must be separately installed, if desired. XP Pro however does have the backup tool built into the standard installed version.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The backup facility is not installed with Windows XP Home; it has to be installed later from the disk as an "extra" or "tool" or whatever it is called. In other words, it and several other programs are on the disk as extras but not as part of the basic operating system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Games, editors, wallpaper and a paint program, etc., aren't the operating system either but I bet those were all installed. So I can't imagine the vendor would argue a distinction without a difference by telling their own disatisfied customer that "well, those *extra* extras really are extra so we can't give it to you." Just because someone arbitrarily decided to make an extra step to get the backup program off the same disc as the OS (IMO) makes it no less a part of the operating system than minesweeper, solitaire and pretty pictures. In any case, the answer's "No" unless you ask...

Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 AM

Have you checked to see if these extras are included in the Dell Windows CD?

Go to All Programs -> Dell Accessories -> and there should be an option to burn a Windows CD. This option does not appear until the 2nd boot of a Dell system.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, sumdumguy, and I just now checked--but it is not there.

All that is there under Dell Accesories on my machine is Express Service Code. If I go up to regular accessories it is not there either, not even under System Tools..

If it is on your computer, are you using XP Home Edition or XP Professional?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 AM

Can't tell you about getting XP, but you can always try a program like Norton's Ghost. There are a couple utilities out there that allow you to make an image of the physical state of the hard drive and restore later. I've had terrible luck with pretty much all forms of state backup (as opposed to just media with files), but some of my friends swear by it.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't tell you about getting XP, but you can always try a program like Norton's Ghost. There are a couple utilities out there that allow you to make an image of the physical state of the hard drive and restore later. I've had terrible luck with pretty much all forms of state backup (as opposed to just media with files), but some of my friends swear by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton Ghost combined with two hard drive broken into partitions is the way to go. Check out the Radified Guide for some hints.

On my first HD I have one partition for WinXP&Programs, another for Data (minus music and Pokertracker Databases, and one for Pokertracker Databases (easy to defrag in its own partition). On my other drive I have partions for Music, Ghost backups of WinXP&Programs, and a couple minor ones (such as a dedicated download partition and one for my swap file). I back up data to external drives, but if you don't have a lot of data you can back it up to a partition on the second HD.

The "Radified" method of using Ghost is to do it from DOS, since in the case of a total disk crash you aren't going to be able to get to Windows based backup tools. Ghost restores every setting and gets you back to where you where.

~ Rick
Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is on your computer, are you using XP Home Edition or XP Professional?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was never aware such a backup utility exists in an out of the box XP CD. I sounded like you suggest it does, so I was just helping you burn a Dell Windows XP CD. There is nothing that appears at first glance to be a backup utility in either my company supplied XP Pro CD, or my own Dell cheapskate burn it yourself XP home CD.

Is it possible what you're thinking of is a pirated or Corporate XP CD with after factory addons?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 PM

i just checked my cd for you and it doesnt have that on it.

for backup i just do my files and mail. copy it to a cd
put it all in one or two folders and copy it to the cd. thats easy.