Old 04-19-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Bank account closed for poker transactions

[ QUOTE ]
he just toted that he was an ex-FBI agent

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly despise tossers like this.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:45 AM

I also have had problems with First TN Bank. They weren't poker related, but I would suggest everyone keep away from this paternalistic bank.

To the above poster....I live in Knoxville and we have some good .25/.50 NL games with some people that just SUCK but keep buying in, and some tourneys every now and then. PM me.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 AM

I agree. I think herein lies the issue. If this guy is newly at the bank fresh out of the FBI, he may be trying to make hay with his bosses by proving he's useful for keeping the bank out of the woods for "suspicious" transactions. If I had this turd on the phone I would have asked him to tell me exactly what a suspicious transaction was and picked apart his pbrained responses. What could he do, close my account? Sounds like a tool to me. Probably born in Po Dunk, too.
I also agree with advice given in this thread about finding a MUCH larger bank to do business with. They can afford the lawyers to keep them out from under the eyes of the Feds and don't rely on exFBI agents to legitimize the transactions that take place in their business. BofA or Washington Mutual are good choices.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:50 AM

Maybe they were just worried that someone was stealing money from your account because of the huge withdrawal transactions, so they shut it down until they could talk to you about it and straighten everything out. Usually that is what they mean when they call it "suspicious" activity.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Home Federal is a much "nicer" bank, BUT it is super conservative.

BoA and NBA would be my 2 best guesses as to local B&M banks that wouldn't care about Neteller transactions.

I've been with my credit union 25yrs. I can do about anything I want and not get grief.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:00 PM

geez. i always thought it was a dragonfly. i think you are right. it is some kind of fairy, but not _2000flushes. hmmm
Old 04-19-2005, 07:56 PM

I believe that they're pretty strict about gambling being illegal in TN. (I live in TN, but I'm leaving saturday for [censored] good for CA a nice gambling-friendly state).

It's not really surprising to me that they'd decide that your transactions are illegal too.

This is the same place that tried to shut down a charity poker tournament last October, even though there wasn't a money prize involved. (the one where Moneymaker showed up, for his fraternity charity). I thought that was pretty classless but not really surprising. They published the state statute on gambling and poker in the paper around that time, and it seemed to me that even playing internet poker for real money was considered illegal in TN.

Can't really enforce it I suppose, but I'm not surprised that they'd shut you down for gambling transactions.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Unless it's been changed recently, games of chance are illegal. Games of skill can have wagers and be legal. If someone is taking a rake it's illegal. Now that there is a state lottery, most of the old charity "gambling" events are back on. Do note this "illegal" charity crap became a big deal during the reign of a moron governor.

The law is so moronic in pool a player auction is legal, but a calcutta is illegal. What's the difference you ask? The words used.

As for First Tn Bank, it's ran in a manner that is less than friendly to students and "marginal" types. Only Home Federal is more conservative (but HF is MUCH easier for the customer, they are just TIGHT with a loan). If you are small time (read student/marginal) they'd prefer you bank elsewhere.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 PM

TN -> CA = +EV
Old 04-19-2005, 10:23 PM

Well, I'm not all that concerned that some of you don't believe me. I could come up with better things to make up. But it seems that a number of you have had problems with FirstTennessee as well, so my tale can't be that unbelieveable. I don't really believe neteller was the issue here, but rather the big picture they got from all of my transactions. I had very regular deposits all over the online poker world via ATM/Check Card. It had to be painstakingly clear that I was using my bank account for gambling purposes more than anything else. I still think it's absurd that my account was closed, but I believe that it can be avoided. Granny, I'm sure you'll be fine sticking with FirstTennessee if you continue to use a go-between like Neteller. Maybe consider changing banks if you hear any other horror stories, but if you have a lot of assets tied up there then don't worry about it. It's not like they seized my funds...just gave me a headache for the week.

[ QUOTE ]
I think herein lies the issue. If this guy is newly at the bank fresh out of the FBI, he may be trying to make hay with his bosses by proving he's useful for keeping the bank out of the woods for "suspicious" transactions. If I had this turd on the phone I would have asked him to tell me exactly what a suspicious transaction was and picked apart his pbrained responses. What could he do, close my account? Sounds like a tool to me. Probably born in Po Dunk, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with this caricature of the bank security guy. I guarantee you I picked him apart on the phone but he just talked in circles. Worse than dealing with PP suport (ok maybe not).
[ QUOTE ]
TN -> CA = +EV

[/ QUOTE ]Nosiree
I don't play B&M, I like my rent cheap, I don't like traffic, I believe folks are nicer here, and I just plain feel at the base of the beautiful smokies...maybe I'm a redneck but I love it.