Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-14-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Ethical situation

I was heads up against this player and he had a 4:1 chip lead on me. His internet has been wonky all game. As we were heads up, his internet died. His blinds were auto folded to me and every bet I made was auto folded.

Should I wait until the guy gets back or do i take him for all his worth trying so I can catch up/win?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Ethical situation

No you are within bounds steal all his chips in this situation. There is a reason I pay money for 2 internet connections every month and I will relentlessly steal blinds of those who get disconnected as I expect others will do to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Ok cool. I took him for all that he was worth and when he got back, he had 300 chips left [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 07:51 PM

Next time, bet faster. Seriously, you're in this game to only look after #1, right? I do the same every time.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 PM

To really maximize, once you've determined that your connection is more likely to last than his connection, take the maximum time possible on every hand you play in the hopes he disconnects and you can score the most chips.

but yes, no ethical probs here. I think of it as building my bankroll for when I lose connection on $220 worth of tables.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:54 PM

I bet also. Screw waiting for him.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 PM

karma's a bitch.

The Shadow
Old 07-15-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
karma's a bitch.

The Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

to hell with kharma, this is an edge. think about in a live tournament when someone doesnt show up after a break. if he is on my left you can bet your ass that im gonna raise every time it is folded to me.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 AM

You are helping your opponent by taking all their chips. Maybe theyll figure out to get a reliable internet connection or to always have a backup. When my internet was shaky and I had no backup, I stopped playing for a week until everything was back to normal.

Theres no reason I should have to stop playing whenever I have internet problems but be kind and gentle to all those that do and whom don't spend the same money per month that I do on internet connections.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Theres no reason I should have to stop playing whenever I have internet problems but be kind and gentle to all those that do and whom don't spend the same money per month that I do on internet connections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously, you don't HAVE to stop playing whenever you have internet problems. Also, there are occasionally occurrence where recurrent internet problems aren't at fault. I recently had a power outage when a thunderstorm blew in a couple of miles away while I was in the middle of some games. While I don't think you're obligated to try and wait the other person out - when put in this position in the past I've tended to just go for it as well - it's certainly not very sporting to do otherwise.

There have been a couple of situations in the WSOP ME where people have been away from the table, either because of a misunderstanding or a penalty, and some players have tried to stall to keep them in it. What do you think of such behavior?