Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 11:30 AM

Default K9s - correct?

Ho hum. I think this is ok but just checking. The pot was small so I thought the turn fold was ok. Not even sure my 'outs' are outs.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.50.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>

(EDIT: Turn action got lost, my mistake, it went: I bet, two folds, MP2 raises, one cold call, I fold.)

Comments?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: K9s - correct?

You can't fold the turn when it comes back to you.

You still have a gutshot and if your opponent is raising two pair without a king then you have even more outs. Folding the turn is wrong.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:01 PM

I'll throw my two cents in. I think your beat currently, so a fold isn't necessarily bad if you don't think your outs are clean. I'd guess your up against 2pair, like QQTT. Personally (without any read on player), I'd be inclined to call and hope for a K, 9, or J on the river (9 potential outs) otherwise check-fold. Is MP2 likely to just call KQ, TT, 66 preflop?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:11 PM

But my J outs are pretty dirty, no? Any ace makes a better straight and if I do stand up I might chop the pot. 9's aren't clean either. The K's might be clean, or they might just cost me some money.

MP2 is not an aggressive player here, so his sustained action on the turn was a sign of trouble to me. Plus the cold caller tells me someone else is drawing, so if I hit I'm likely to chop or lose.

NT

MP2 is not a very aggressive player so my read was that I was way behind here.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:23 PM

I scanned this quickly and tbh I'm not used to playing these limits. If you have a read on this player and he's passive and he wouldn't raise without a really strong hand then you can assume you are currently beat. The cold caller most likely has a draw - flush or an Ace or a Jack are his most likely hands.

The thing is, you are getting 11.5-1 to call here on the turn. Your jack is dirty but you can't discout it, although you should derate it. Instead of 4 outs let's call it 2 outs. You have to think your king outs are decent. That's 2 more outs. Already you have the correct odds to call the turn.

If you know that MP2 wouldn't raise you on the turn without a made straight then you can fold, but the cold caller doesn't really worry me a lot other than to derate my outs. I still think you have a call here even with the further analysis.