Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Hastert Plays Politics With Holidays

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to impose your religion on us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a giant tree really imposing religion on you? How does that force you to do anything you don't want to do?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM

I work and pay taxes, they use my tax money to buy symbols of christianity. They are forcing me to work for christianity.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to impose your political correctness on a far greater majority?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to impose your political correctness on a far greater majority?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...so you're claiming Christians are a super-majority here in America? And yet, they're still somehow viciously persecuted, too?

Strange that such a large majority could also be so oppressed and disenfranchied -- I'm almost tempted to say they must be imagining it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait...so you're claiming Christians are a super-majority here in America?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the majority of America is Christian.

[ QUOTE ]
And yet, they're still somehow viciously persecuted against, too?

Weird...

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say persecuted, did I?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christians stole the solstice holiday from the Germans and Norwegians and made it religious, so we are celebrating the solstice, you people choose to call it xmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christians didn't steal any holiday. December 25th marks the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Yule is the celebration (December 21st btw) of the winter solstice - winter solstice isn't the holiday (get your facts straight if you want to come off as an intellectual). As Pagan tribes began celebrating Christmas, they didn't ditch all of their Yule customs such as hollies, mistletoes and hams simply because it was now Christmas. But clearly these traditions adapted into the overall celebration of what became dominantly celebrated - Christmas. What is so difficult for you to understand about that?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think jesus was born on the 25th of Dec?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but as any intelligent person can surmise, December 25th marks the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is us? And exactly how does a Christmas tree impose my religion on anyone? Do you even know what the word impose means? Should I be so afraid of offending 1 out of 10 Americans that don't celebrate Christmas, that I should avoid any reference to Christmas whatsoever? Surely not.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not christian, I do not wish to see signs of it in public places that I help fund

[/ QUOTE ]

You, the vast minority, wish to impose your will on that vast majority because you are offended by the word Christmas? Well I have news for you, the word "Holiday" offends me. And how much do you think it costs to chop a tree down and put lights on it? Is that really what this is about?

90% of Americans celebrate Christmas.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, okay! Good, we're in agreement, then.

Just wanted to confirm that this book, and all the other, similar conservative Christian ranting and raving about how they're oh-so-opressed by those PC liberals was just a load of BS.

Whew, I was worried there for a second (OK, not really... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).
Old 11-30-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, okay! Good, we're in agreement, then.

Just wanted to confirm that this book, and all the other, similar conservative Christian ranting and raving about how they're oh-so-opressed by those PC liberals was just a load of BS.

Whew, I was worried there for a second (OK, not really... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]
What does any of this have to do with what I said? He, canis### and possibly a small minority of others, wish to re-impose the stupid PC-name Holiday tree instead of the traditional-name Christmas tree.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:41 PM

Call it a christmas tree, I dont care, just dont spend my tax money on it.

"You, the vast minority, wish to impose your will on that vast majority because you are offended by the word Christmas? Well I have news for you, the word "Holiday" offends me. And how much do you think it costs to chop and tree down and put lights on it? Is that really what this is about? "

How much of our federal, state and local budgets should go toward the promotion of christianity, 1%? 5%?

You better read your copy of the constitution.

I never said I was offended. I am getting a tree for my grandmother this week and I am paying for it with my own money. I just don't want public money being spent on religious symbols.

You are being disengenous when you say 'holiday' offends you.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does any of this have to do with what I said? He, canis### and possibly a small minority of others, wish to re-impose the stupid PC-name Holiday tree instead of the traditional-name Christmas tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just elated to here that some of my dear friends on the right are finally ready to admit that Christians are an uber-majority in America and that, to claim they're somehow persecuted or oppressed just flies in the face of logic and rationality.

I was concerned for a moment that with all the hub-bub about "Holiday Trees", Fox News' flashes about the "War on Chirstmas", complete with 'stories' about little children being assaulted and beaten by ACLU lawyers for daring to sing Christmas carols on public property, nativity scenes being set ablaze in raging infernos and other such fictional narratives the right clings to like a wet blanket don't really have any substance to them whatsoever. But now that we can all admit, using common-sense, that such stories must be exaggerated hogwash, and that Christians are in fact living peaceful and unfettered lives here in America.