Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Default 5/10 stars overpair in an uncomfortable spot

full table pstars 5/10. I had recently doubled up and won some pots. I had opened to $40 first in late and shown A9o and AA. Whole table was pretty deep, half of them regulars who were on the tighter side.

I get dealt red KK and open for $40 in CO. SB (tight regular who covers me) calls, BB ($1200) calls. BB I haven't seen too much of, but seemed fairly aggressive.

Flop ($120) Q8c3c. Checked to me, I bet $80, SB calls, BB min-raises to $160 - what's my best move here? I decide to see a turn w/ position and call. SB folds.

Turn ($520) 2o. BB bets out $250, Hero...

This is a tough hand because I have no reads on this player and I don't regularly play this stars game, so don't even know what an "average" player is doing here. In addition, if I call, he'll have less than a pot sized stack left on the river and I'm not sure what cards I want to see.

also: I had been aggressive w/ my good and great hands lately and passive on draws if that matters at all for what he's thinking of my hand.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: 5/10 stars overpair in an uncomfortable spot

if he is an unknown, i think you want to show this down. you can't just go around folding overpairs to aggressive players without a read. you can raise small now and check behind on river or call both. either way, it won't make much difference since he hasn't got that much left.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: 5/10 stars overpair in an uncomfortable spot

I think this is a call and see what he does on the river. If he has a set I don't like his turn bet as you could hold something like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He could also be doing this with something like 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM

Default results

I called, river blank, he pushes I call again. He has 6c7c and MHIG, just wondering if I should push the turn or flop sometimes in this spot - as I don't seem to too often.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: results

naw
just put "ATM" in his notes and be done with it
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

push turn. Granted you make less this particular time, but imo turn is push/fold- both are viable options.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 PM

villain's play is nonsensical
folding turn is stupid
Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
villain's play is nonsensical

[/ QUOTE ]
no.
[ QUOTE ]
folding turn is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]
no.

turn is push/fold. rest looks fine.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:33 AM

I agree, I think pushing or folding turn is better - the problem with calling is that there are a ton of crappy cards that can come on the river and he may hit for cheap and / or make me make a larger mistake on the river. Folding is fine there as well although with the flush draw out there and me calling, and him betting small, I thought it may be more likely he had a draw, but wasn't sure enough to pull the trigger like I should have. Lucky for me, the draw missed and he made a desperation bluff on a complete blank.